I will never drive a Vauxhall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cavalol

Guru
Not a reflection on anyone on this thread, but there’s so much snobbery relating to Vauxhalls and people who look down on them.
I’ve had probably 35 years of ownership of one model or another, and only had maybe two or three bad ones out of probably 80-100.
In my relatively limited (20+) experience of VAG stuff, the Vauxhalls I’ve owned have genuinely been a lot more reliable. I’m not averse to other makes and models (currently have 7 old Fords) and will try anything cheap and cheerful at least once, but give me a Vauxhall and I’m happiest.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My Dad had a Vauxhall Victor estate when I were a lad. What a rattly old pile of poo that was. Mind you, the Volvo that replaced it was no better, and the Rover that replaced that even worse. People forget just how bad cars were back in the 70s - always going wrong, bits falling off, hard-to-pin-down rattles and buzzes. And the dawn chorus on every suburban road in the land: rr-rr-rr-rr-rr.....rr-rr-rr-rr-rr....rr-rr-rr-rr-rr...

KneesUp

Guru
Oh aye. Back then new cars would be showing signs of rust in less than a year.
I worked with an old guy when I had an Alfa Romeo 15 years or so ago. He had owned many Alfas, it seemed. He told me that, back in the day, you'd buy an Alfa, drive the wheels off it, then 3 years later sweep it up and buy another.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The brakes better be good.
Wouldn’t want to be going down a steep hill in that with crappy brakes!

And what about the steering? Imagine going round a downhill hairpin in that thing... terrifying!

There's something about shoot old cars that we all like.

Yeah - what I like about them is mainly the fact that I don't have to drive them because I've got a comfortable, reliable modern car instead.

Hard to spend more than a penny on a corsa even if it was di2 12 speed dura ace

I wouldn't spend a penny on a Corsa if it was on fire. ;)

Drago

Legendary Member
Not a reflection on anyone on this thread, but there’s so much snobbery relating to Vauxhalls and people who look down on them.
I’ve had probably 35 years of ownership of one model or another, and only had maybe two or three bad ones out of probably 80-100.
In my relatively limited (20+) experience of VAG stuff, the Vauxhalls I’ve owned have genuinely been a lot more reliable. I’m not averse to other makes and models (currently have 7 old Fords) and will try anything cheap and cheerful at least once, but give me a Vauxhall and I’m happiest.

Indeed. Check out the warranty direct Reliability Index based on actual breakdown data, and VW Group vehicles are distinctly average. BTW, VAG was the British importer owned by Lohnro, and ceased to exist in 1993.

Tommy2

Über Member
Oh... I’ve got an Astra J, but I must say it puts me neither up nor down, not horrendous but not particularly exciting either but I don’t bother about cars anymore.
Although the there is a software recall due on it and they put an oil in it from factory that contributes to piston failure and they haven’t contacted me to get it done and also expect customers to pay for oil and filter change to correct the oil!

Top Bottom