I witnessed shop lifting in Accrington's Holland & Barrett today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Why mention that it might be why they're being worn then.

They tend to wear face coverings to hide their face, so that no one will recognise them when committing criminal acts. When I said facial recognition, I meant recognition by the human eye and brain, not by a machine. It was you who presumed I was talking about machine facial recognition, not me who suggested I was.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
This happened across the road, 2 minutes walk from my flat. There's an almost new disabled parking bay next to this car park. The other day I thought about parking in it, but decided not to as even though there's a zebra crossing right outside my flat, I never use it as I don't trust drivers to stop for me. I don't think I'll be parking in it now after this incident, even if I did feel safe crossing the busy road to get to and from it, after this incident! Yes, I know lightning doesn't strike twice as they say, but this isn't the first incident of vandalism on that car park!! :unsure:

1707774037240.png

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co....iple-cars-broken-church-street-great-harwood/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Oh well didn't spot there were more than one but I wiould say that is a rare occurance

They are indeed rare occurrences, but sadly when it happens to you, as in the victim, it plays on your mind affecting your health. A workmate/friend of my late dad's had his car totally smashed up about 15 years ago. The scumbags broke all the windows and booted in all the doors and side panels on their recently bought car. They were told by the police not to take it personally as it'd most likely be drunken yobs walking home after a night out just singling out any car. Those words of reassurance had little affect on my dad's friend as he took the insurance payout but didn't replace the car, saying he wouldn't feel safe owning one again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
More fun and games in Accrington this aft'! I saw quite a few police cars zooming round the town centre about 2.45. Then a couple of those blue and high viz yellow BMW estate cars they use to chase cars on motorways etc appeared with lights flashing and the sirens booming out. At about 3.15 a shopkeeper texted me to say a 'big black fellow' jumped out of a Audi he was driving, while it was still moving, letting the car crash into some bollards. She said he then ran 'like Usain Bolt' dumping what looked like wedges of notes and those small plastic egg shaped containers you get children's sweets/toys etc in. She knew this as her friend stopped to pick some of the dropped stuff up. She said her friend was about to open one of the containers when a police car arrived with the driver shouting at her not to touch anything! He then told her they probably contained cocaine. I don't know if the 'felon' was caught. I've looked on the local gossip etc Facebook page, but there isn't anything on there so far.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Had a shoplifter in the local Iceland last night - I was just walking to the till when I heard 'Oi'. Apparently it's someone who does this regular, but on this occasion, the security chap was at the back of the store. Both he and two other staff took off after him. They didn't catch him, but I was them bringing back some boxes of frozen goods.

It's mad that you have to have security on Iceland's doors. There isn't anything of great value in the first few fridges. The meat is at the back of the store, and anything over a few quid is in plastic security boxes.

It's sad times when people steal some cheap frozen sausage rolls.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Had a shoplifter in the local Iceland last night - I was just walking to the till when I heard 'Oi'. Apparently it's someone who does this regular, but on this occasion, the security chap was at the back of the store. Both he and two other staff took off after him. They didn't catch him, but I was them bringing back some boxes of frozen goods.

It's mad that you have to have security on Iceland's doors. There isn't anything of great value in the first few fridges. The meat is at the back of the store, and anything over a few quid is in plastic security boxes.

It's sad times when people steal some cheap frozen sausage rolls.

Yes, a friend who worked in a local co-op told me of some who'd 'nick' smart price/savers stuff while leaving the better stuff alone. It's as if they think stealing a lamb will get a lesser sentence than stealing a sheep, if caught. 🤔

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, a friend who worked in a local co-op told me of some who'd 'nick' smart price/savers stuff while leaving the better stuff alone. It's as if they think stealing a lamb will get a lesser sentence than stealing a sheep, if caught. 🤔
It's as much a case of what they can get away quickest with, without slowing themselves down as the value of the items.
Then think about the use of the item(s) being taken. Citric Acid for home brewing became a behind the counter item. Simple painkillers are a popular item.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's as much a case of what they can get away quickest with, without slowing themselves down as the value of the items.
Then think about the use of the item(s) being taken. Citric Acid for home brewing became a behind the counter item. Simple painkillers are a popular item.

Which tends to suggest they aren't that bright. A skilled thief wouldn't concern themselves with 'getting away quickly'. They would be more concerned about avoiding raising suspicions, while always looking calm and collected.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Accy cyclist - my local Co-Op has a problem with shoplifting. However, they've said it's usually possible to identify the shoplifter in question as they arrive by car, with their registration picked up by camera, or taxi.

They're stealing to order and getting a fraction of the item's value.

Surely there must be less stupid ways of theivng?

classic33

Leg End Member
@Accy cyclist - my local Co-Op has a problem with shoplifting. However, they've said it's usually possible to identify the shoplifter in question as they arrive by car, with their registration picked up by camera, or taxi.

You can place your order in one pub in town, then go to another to collect it. Usually on the same day.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

If I were into such activities, I'd steal for myself and not involve those higher up or lower than me in the pecking order, ensuring 100 percent profit, even though that profit might be a minimal amount of value. 'Raffles' springs to mind! 🧐

Written by E.W. Hornung (Arthur Conan Doyle's brother-in-law), A.J. Raffles was the Edwardian era's most celebrated gentleman thief. In a series of highly entertaining tales, the suave cat-burglar thrilled and charmed readers in equal measure.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

my local sainsburys was robbed at knifepoint for booze and fags by a local that people know, plod were around to the house asap .
Some folk must be really desperate or thick.

Top Bottom