I wonder if I made the right decision.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
At the end of 2015 I decided not to log my cycling outings anymore as I felt obliged to go out just to get the mileage. Now, 3 months into the year, I am not so sure as I have only gone out 3 times this year so far and covered I am sure, less than 60 miles, compared to 200 this time last year. Of course the weather has a lot to do with it and I feel my motivation is also less. With spring starting tomorrow, I hope the weather will improve and will kick start me into action again.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
You made the right decision. Sounds like cycling is not for you. You should donate your bikes to me to make a good decision an excellent decision.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Don't beat yourself up about it. The weather has been downright awful this year, my mileage is also way down on what it was last year. To be honest, commuting was a total slog throughout Jan/Feb and even weekend rides haven't been as much fun as usual with all the mud, grit, ice, and water on the roads.

However, Spring is definitely on the way :biggrin: and the last couple of rides I went out on made me remember just how fantastic cycling can be. Bet the same happens for you too :smile:

I stopped logging my rides towards the end of last year. I went out less often, but when I did go out, I found I enjoyed it far, far more than previously.

I believe logging with strava etc, kind of forced me to go out, and keep the miles going up. Whereas now, I tend to just go out when I feel like a cycle, not because I want to log some miles with Strava.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You should make cycling more important, rather than miles. Either that or join the local vélodrome and just ride round and round in circles to clock up the miles.

Its been cold up to now. But count the number of rides and not the miles.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I don't log my miles I just record them, I guess it is the same.

My miles are short so far year to date but hopefully will catch up in the future and hey its not a big issue.

Just enjoy the miles that you do

Dave7

Legendary Member
As a relative newbie to "proper" cycling (and with a goal in mind) I benefit from recording the mileage. I have a target in mind for this year and I find recording helps (in my case). It has helped me get out in conditions that I would really rather not be out in....but had to as I need to get my mileage up......but that is just my 'chosen' situation.
However if you just want to enjoy cycling I think recording could be a bad thing.
After this year and reaching (or failing to reach) my target.... I don't think I will continue to record.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I've done a couple of years chasing mileage targets - it's important not to let it get to be a bit of a drag. If the weather's awful and you don't fancy riding, the last thing you want is self-inflicted guilt over an arbitrary mileage target!

This year I've set myself a couple of more fun goals e.g. try out a new route every month, try and get a nice pic on the phone off every weekend ride, go exploring on the MTB, do an overnight cycle camping trip.

Getting out on the bike and having a nice time is what it's all about :smile:

I'd try to integrate cycling into your life more rather than "logging" which often means anslysing stuff in front of a computer. Can you visit interesting places by bike, visit friends by bike, do some of your shopping by bike?

Deanie81084

I went for a few years tracking mileage and then not trackling mileage. Didn't change my cycling habits but then I try to cycle everywhere anyway. I find it's nice to know how far I've cycled these days and with strava how steep the hill actually is.

Top Bottom