i would HATE this commute!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

defy-one

An offside pannier helps give you a bigger profile and less of these close passes. Also don't ride in the gutter. Claim that secondary position

Col5632

Guru
I couldnt cycle in london, the thought of being on any roads by car or bike in london fills me with dread :ohmy:

Teuchter

Über Member
12,000 miles travelled in a central London rush hour will get you into a few issues.
Although I reckon my reading of the road is better now and I could avoid a few of those.
In my experience, most city centre cyclists will encounter things like this now and then. The trick is spotting it and not stubbornly pushing a bad situation just because you're in the right. This I think only comes with experience... I certainly have far less issues now than I did 5 years ago when I started regular commuting.

underneath that Heilan'man's Bridge on Argyll Street, it is kind of dark, so maybe he didn't see me.
That place is a nightmare at the best of times. I had to dodge two pedestrians there last week who both seemed determined to wander in front of me, one at either end of the "umbrella". A car then turned right across my path further along Argyle Street. Began to wonder if I had my cloaking device switched on as I very rarely have issues these days, even less three within as many minutes!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
That place is a nightmare at the best of times. I had to dodge two pedestrians there last week who both seemed determined to wander in front of me, one at either end of the "umbrella". A car then turned right across my path further along Argyle Street. Began to wonder if I had my cloaking device switched on as I very rarely have issues these days, even less three within as many minutes!

I'm glad it isn't just me then!

Bigsharn

Veteran
I couldnt cycle in london, the thought of being on any roads by car or bike in london fills me with dread :ohmy:

Driving I agree with. I'd never drive in the capital, but more because I can't be arsed being stuck in traffic. Though I went cycling in London for the first time last weekend and it's actually safer than anywhere else I've been (granted, the road surfaces COULD be better though)

defy-one

London is better for driving and cycling IMO. Been doing it for 15 years at all times of the day/night. The only thing that screws up London traffic is roadworks,major accidents and the bloody Sunday drivers!!!!!!!!!
It always takes me twice as long to cross the city when the weekend drivers are about and not knowing where they are going,what lane they should be in, going slower than usual.

Teuchter

Über Member
Never cycled in London. I have driven through it a couple of times and didn't like it... largely due to navigational problems (well before the days of GPS).

I lived not far from London during 1997. A mate of mine was going for a job as a motorbike courier at the time. He had been given a list of landmarks to ride between to get a feel for common routes around the city. He asked if I wanted to join him on my motorbike so the two of us spent a sunny Saturday afternoon racing all over the centre of London like total hooligans, pretending to be couriers, breaking almost every traffic law that has been written. It was great fun!

His courier career was cut short two weeks later when a Maestro SMIDSY'd him on a roundabout on the outskirts of Guildford but that's a different story.

Top Bottom