Ibuprofen and codine addiction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
When I had a dental abscess they were the only things that worked, until the pharmacist wouldn't sell me any more.

I take them quite a bit as nothing else works for my headaches, and these take away the pain quickly. By quite a bit, I mean perhaps a box of 32 a month but I wouldn't say I am addicted: I tend to only take if I am at work and the headache becomes unbearable.
I had a dental abscess, and my dentist sent me to the surgeon that same morning. No fussing, just 30 minutes of paperwork and 30 seconds with a cutting pliers after novacaine injections.

BrynCP

Über Member
I had a dental abscess, and my dentist sent me to the surgeon that same morning. No fussing, just 30 minutes of paperwork and 30 seconds with a cutting pliers after novacaine injections.
Unfortunately it was Easter and I had to wait for the emergency dentist appointment. It's also why the pharmacist knew I had taken too many pain killers as it was the only one open and I told them what I had already had.

Bryan, how many do you take a day? I ask as this was exactly my position, other drugs were the only thing that took away the symptoms...problem is they were also causing the symptoms.

Ps a thumping headache was one of my symptoms, so painful I couldn't even rest my head on a pillow as the pressure hurt.

Might be worth looking at your other symptoms.
Never more than 6 a day; I'll take 2 before work, 2 at work and then 2 before bed if I have day long pain. They do say codeine can create and make headaches worse, but paracetamol doesn't work for me and Ibuprofen alone takes too long to "kick in" and doesn't last long. Other pain I can usually just rely on ibuprofen.

Lullabelle

Banana
I needed Codeine for pain some time ago.
One thing led to another and I was taking more and more until I was up to about 20 a day.
Not realising the dangers of Codeine and also not realising that I was addicted I stopped taking them. Bad move!
These pills were Cocodamol, prescribed by my doctor without any warning or advice. But it was my fault ultimately because I upped the dose.
I had severe dizziness, heavy sweating and nausea. When I lay in bed my legs would convulse and I was unable to sleep.
As said before....take the prescribed dose and get off them ASAP!

Cocodamol is very nasty stuff. I was used a painkiller which contained codeine and it made me very unwell so I stopped taking it and felt fine, it was explained to me that is was a morphine derivative and some people cannot tolerate it. Now whenever I am asked about allergies I always say that I don't get along with codeine.

I suppose it is easy to become addicted if you don't get proper medical advice.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Cocodamol is very nasty stuff. I was used a painkiller which contained codeine and it made me very unwell so I stopped taking it and felt fine, it was explained to me that is was a morphine derivative and some people cannot tolerate it. Now whenever I am asked about allergies I always say that I don't get along with codeine.

It was my own fault as I kept increasing the dose due to severe pain getting worse.
But I wasn't prepared for what happened after I thought I could just stop. Eventually weened off btw.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

There are plenty of us that got put onto codeine with Medical advice. Now either the medical profession is very divided on its nastiness and addictiveness or they underestimate how fast and hard it grips you or maybe they figure that managing the pain short term makes it viable and they'll help (or not) deal with the addiction later - playing fast and loose with peoples longer term problems for a short term fix.

Lullabelle

Banana
It was my own fault as I kept increasing the dose due to severe pain getting worse.
But I wasn't prepared for what happened after I thought I could just stop. Eventually weened off btw.

Can you still get cocodamol? Last I heard there was debate on to stop prescribing as it because the side effects were so bad.

Thing about medication is that you take it to help 1 thing but it can cause problems with other parts of your body. My mum took 1 drug and couldn't pee for 3 days so she had to come off them.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
When I had a dental abscess they were the only things that worked, until the pharmacist wouldn't sell me any more.

When my wife had a dental abscess, nothing sold over the counter worked. I did a tour of local pharmacies buying bottles of kaolin and morphine and removed the kaolin and concentrated the morphine and got my wife to rub the concentrated liquor into her gums.

When I decanted her into the dental hospital a couple of days later her response to the dental surgeon's enquiry, 'Where does it hurt' was a slurred 'Nowhere'.

It remains my most impressive family medical intervention to date. :becool:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Is that right.

It was a real shock to me. Intuitively (which is to say I haven't boned up on any medical evidence) it seems that the removal of pain results in the numbing of so many nerve endings, joints, capillarys and muscles that when the drugs wear off, all of them come back to life in a mass of aches, thumping pain and shivering that I confused with my original flu symptoms and so kept medicating.

On another more risky side, despite being Christmas, I've lost over half a stone through lack of appetite induced by the same drugs, very easy to see why celebs and the like will self medicate and become addicted.
Your health service works a little differently to ours GA, unless we pay extra that is.

I went to a private dental hospital in 2012, cost me most of my wages for the month :sad:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Constipation is a problem here. I took denatured morphine and atropene to stop my diarrhea with the gastro bug, as nothing else was stopping it. Then it took 4 days to get started again, after only 2 pills. Strong, strong stuff.

Conversely four days of treatment didn't dry the my well of stinkiness. The opiates are notorious for causing constipation but only a protracted dosage regime of opiates to dull the excruciating pain of chronic cellulitis bunged me up to the extent that I needed laxitives.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Your health service works a little differently to ours GA, unless we pay extra that is.
Quite true. If I were in your NHS, I would get things looked after as readily as possible, avoiding such complications. In my case, even with good insurance(Mrs GA works in Uni system) my co-pays are quite daunting. We have no health care for those who are poor or lack benefits, other than what they insure for themselves. A true mess, and due to get worse quite soon. I think we missed the last bus for health reform thanks to our conservative colleagues and their fear of caring for the neglected.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

I take them quite a bit as nothing else works for my headaches, and these take away the pain quickly. By quite a bit, I mean perhaps a box of 32 a month but I wouldn't say I am addicted: I tend to only take if I am at work and the headache becomes unbearable.

Have they been properly diagnosed if you do not mind me asking?

My wife suffers from these (took years before we had a diagnosis):

http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheet-cluster-headache-10908

Top Bottom