Ibuprofen and codine addiction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I took codeine for a short time when I was bed-bound with a back injury. I can see how they're addictive. They made me feel great, and relaxed. Thankfully, I've not got an addictive personality, so was able to take it or leave it.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
[QUOTE 3457818, member: 259"]I know you can become addicted to codeine but I don't think ibuprofen is considered addictive is it?[/QUOTE]

Ibuprofen isn't so much of a painkiller but an anti-inflammatory. Reducing inflammations reduces the pain. It's as Mort said, non addictive. Codeine's side effects do not include headaches. RoadRider48's side effects are typical.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was on Co-Codemol 30/500 for post-operative pain a couple of years ago. It bunged up my tripes quite spectacularly. The laxatives needed to deal with the affliction caused me at occupy the ward lavatory for over twelve hours. Grim.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
2 volumes of Churchills' WWII memoirs. Covered the entire period from the fall of France to the battle for Malta.

It would also cover first fart to last wipe.

young Ed

Veteran
surprising how things can be addictive so easily, my dad's mate has been drinking 2 cans of energy drink a day until recently and he felt shoot without it. he then realised this stuff probably isn't doing much for his body so left a pack of 24 unopened and it took a few days of shaking and feel shoot until he felt MUCH better!
Cheers Ed

BrynCP

Über Member
Have they been properly diagnosed if you do not mind me asking?
Never been diagnosed. They are not as bad these days as they once were. They're always over the left eye and are like some of the symptoms in your link, but as I can manage the pain with the codeine I think it's not as serious. There is no obvious reason or trigger. MRIs didn't show anything wrong, nor eye tests.

gbb

Legendary Member
Syndol which contains codeine affects me something terrible. The first time I took them ...within hours I felt dreadful, like a mini flu, shakes, aches and sweats. I didnt put two and two together and the ailment passed, I didnt even think about the effects of syndol.
Some time later, maybe a couple years...I took syndol again...same effect, but this time I did put two and two together.
I never touch anything (knowingly) with codeine in it now.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Codine gives me a migreine and blocks me up....plus taking regular pain relief gives me rebound headaches.
I do have maxalt melts on scrip for migrein but I really try not to have them either.
I have 3 Asocol talets every day as I have UC. And B12 jabs every 10 weeks..none of these drugs seem to give me a high mind..

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Never been diagnosed. They are not as bad these days as they once were. They're always over the left eye and are like some of the symptoms in your link, but as I can manage the pain with the codeine I think it's not as serious. There is no obvious reason or trigger. MRIs didn't show anything wrong, nor eye tests.

@BrynCP

At least it is manageable then.

My poor wife started getting really bad headaches back in the early 90's and initially they were diagnosed as Migraines. As the years went by they became worse and were eventually diagnosed as Cluster Headaches at the Neurology Hospital in London.

It is closely linked to your Circadian rhythm and many suffers get the symptoms at a specific time of the year/week/day etc. My wife has 3 weeks worth at about midnight to 2pm every 18 months-ish.

Some poor souls have them every day. :sad:

My wife self-injects now and the pain is much easier for her to manage. I have, in the past, found her out back sobbing and banging her head on the patio to try and relieve the pain. If this sounds extreme then some of the things sufferers do on the CH forums she belongs to are beyond belief and are not for the squeamish.

Her pain is right side just behind the eye and she best describes it as a cross between a heavy blow from a hammer and a burning sharply pointed poker.

Horrible thing and doctors categorise it as probably the most extreme pain suffered for a medical condition.

Top Bottom