ICE Adventure Chain Length Adjuster. Version 2.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stearman65

As the first version of this thread was closed by a moderator, it seems a shame not to report on the simple solution to allowing two different height riders use my Ice recumbent I've come up with. As there will only be two of us using the trike, the simple solution would be to make a removable section of chain. OK it's a dirty hands job to change, but I have gloves & for under £10 I have a solution to my particular problem. Hopefully that will convince my wife she should have her own recumbent trike..:smooch:

You might need to purchase a compatable chain splitter tool ( always a good tool for your basic repair kit )
The peskey chinese puzzle links or flip flop joiners do not always behave and split manually
ICE always fit two (if you find any more ....the trike has been adjusted for taller riders.)
Good news
A tool gadget sometimes called "quick link pliers" can be purchased DIY versions cost from £12 to £18 + PP
You can buy spare pairs of quick links for different size chains do not accept the banana curved versions sometimes offered in error .
Don't forget to ID the chain maker and the product code .so you can have a perfect match .
Check the existing chain ....it might be ICE OEM or mix and matched by previous owners .
Ask your mechanic to measure the chain for wear and check for damaged links or side plates before carrying out any mods or adjustments .
Sometimes it';s cheaper to buy a single pre packed chain which includes the link and then you also have spare chain
What method have you considered or devised to prevent the chain disappearing down the chain tubes
whilst the chain is awaiting rejoining ?
Having completed the work do not hug or shake hands with your wife until you have removed the *gloves"
Chuck away motor mechanics disposable gloves will keep you clean and allow you to grip and "feel" the links if you choose not to use any tools .

Top Bottom