ICE & Copenhagen wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Denis99

Über Member
I have an ICE Adventure recumbent and ordered a Copenhagen wheel to transform the trike into e power.

The primary reason for going down this route was the flexibility it offered over the Shimano Steps or GoSwiss drive. It was also cheaper.
Means I can still ride the recumbent without any assistance by re installing the un powered wheel, takes about 10 minutes to swap over.

Downside, it is heavy and costs quite a bit £1500.

You can feel the weight in the rear wheel when cornering , but as long as you manage this, it is fine.

Regen braking is a bit bonus, by pedalling backwards the wheel will go into regen and charge the battery, but also supply a good deal of braking force. Makes slowing down and signalling at junctions very easy.

Went for its first proper shakedown ride .

16 miles
Ave speed 12 mph
1,300 feet climbed
60% of battery left

Very quiet, very smooth.

It just feels like I am 20 years old again.

PaulM

Guru
I'd be very interested if it was half the price. If the battery lasts 1000 charges then that's £1-50 per charge. Hopefully you'll be able to buy replacement batteries for maybe £300? Wouldn't surprise me if they charged double that.

OP
OP
Denis99

Denis99

Über Member
_DSF9787.jpg

From your picture it looks like there is a torque arm on the left chainstay... is swapping wheels simply a question of releasing the arm, dropping the wheel out and fitting an unpowered wheel? I understand that all the controls are Bluetooth to smartphone, is that right?

OP
OP
Denis99

Denis99

Über Member
Not that simple to steal.

Need a 15mm spanner or adjustable, screwdriver to undo the clip on the torque arm.

You wouldn’t want to carry it very far, quite weighty,

Needs a bit of planning to just steal the wheel.

Needs even more planning to steal the trike. You wouldn’t be pedalling the trike without the assistance very far.

Also, the app is linked with the wheel, therefore you can disable the wheel from working.
In fact, it is very secure.

PaulM

Guru
So how natural does the power-assist feel on it? It is seemless or binary in power delivery?

OP
OP
Denis99

Denis99

Über Member
The power feels very natural, just like being 20 years old again.

Very smooth , not like the Bosch system where it (Bosch), can feel a little jerky.

Seamless I would describe as, very natural and quiet.

I need to get out more on it to explore the potential range, man flu at the moment

Top Bottom