Ice question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The met office is showing this warning map for now,

View attachment 386720

And for tomorrow ...

View attachment 386721

The southerly ice warning is from 4-11am tomorrow, and the Scottish is from now until midday.

Updated map ..... Snow and ice until 4pm in the South East. Other warnings unchanged.

Screenshot_20171211-092836.png

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Updated map ..... Snow and ice until 4pm in the South East. Other warnings unchanged.

View attachment 386828
Never eat yellow snow!

Edit: Sorry, already done on page 1

Katherine

Guru
[QUOTE 5073848, member: 9609"]I added a touch of salt to my water today and it still froze in the bottle?[/QUOTE]

Probably not enough salt.

The water in my bottle froze on a bike ride last winter and I was advised to add a hydration tablet. Luckily I had a spare one in my rack bag and the thick undrinkable icy slush immediately became liquid and remained so. A lesson learnt.

vickster

Legendary Member
Put some booze in. It'll taste better.
Yep, Vodka doesn't freeze

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Whether there's black ice for cycling is hard to judge.

Earlier this year after some nasty frosts we had a few days - and nights - of three or four degrees, but the black ice was still there.

Seems to me once formed, ice on the ground takes a surprisingly long time to thaw.
At my old house up in Cumbria, the back garden wouldn't thaw from its first frost in November until mid March when the sun finally hit it again.

Slick

Guru
I did mean neat Vodka, oily isn't frozen :smile:

I don't think anywhere in UK is -10 at the mo
Not quite but still a chilly -8 this morning here, but I think Aberdeen and surroundsvwould have made the sub -10 last night and tonight.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not quite but still a chilly -8 this morning here, but I think Aberdeen and surroundsvwould have made the sub -10 last night and tonight.
Were you cycling in it however. Kudos if you were and your vodka went slushy (however, unless you're Russian, you may want to seek help if drinking vodka for breakfast) ;)

Slick

Guru
Were you cycling in it however. Kudos if you were and your vodka went slushy (however, unless you're Russian, you may want to seek help if drinking vodka for breakfast) ;)
I intended on getting up early and making an informed decision about the conditions at the time. I didn't think it was that bad so I just went for it but I soon knew it was colder than I first realised when the legs just wouldn't loosen up and I had to bury my face in a buff. Cycle home was a bit easier but anyone who says your bike won't dissolve in salt needed to see the state of my machine on arriving home. Once again, spent almost as long cleaning the bike than I did cycling it. No vodka on either leg of the trip, but I reckon I deserve some after that day.

Top Bottom