ice side pods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

thanks for the tip AH and congratulations on another good job on your tour write up, has made good reading. i intend to spray the pockets with waterproofing spray and i have some waterproof liners to use as well.

[XAP]Bob

Dragging up an old thread - but could someone with the sidepods confirm that they would be able to hold a laptop?

I'm pretty sure they won't hold a 17" laptop, but a 14"?

I have a couple of laptops that will need regular carting to and from work...
- 13.2" x 11.1" x 1.43"
- 13.1″ x 9.4″ x 1″ – 1.25″

And occasionally:
- 14.2" x 10.5" x 1.5"

markg0vbr

Über Member
BILD0583.jpg

you can make some :thumbsup: one of the best things about trike's you can improvise.

markg0vbr

Über Member
Hi, are those ski boot bags?

yes £4.99 a bag, i like the way the zipps run from top to bottom and having a flat floor to the bags every thing stays put when you open them.
the water proof rigid panniers are at the back are kitchen bins £4.99 a bin.
well over 120lt of luggage and just look at the aerodynamic lines :whistle:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I cannot believe those Radical bags are not waterproof, they cost a fortune.

If anyone has a Radical bag that has seen the best of it`s days I would like to buy/beg/swap for it.

I make sails for a living and have some high tech kevlar cloth I can make bags out of but need a template and although the radicals are not waterproof I have heard they are a good design, except they may need a baffle in them.

If you have a bag you are happy to let go, tell me and we will sort something out.

Steve

I cannot believe those Radical bags are not waterproof, they cost a fortune.

I find that the bags themselves are waterproof.
But after riding for a day in the rain, stuff inside tends to be damp.
I think it's spay from the front wheels which hits the bags with an upwards direction, that defeats the zip flap, which slowly leaks in.

The small sidepods are ok without a baffle.
Its the big ones that could do with a baffle in them.

Luck .......... :biggrin:

PalmerSperry

Dragging up an old thread - but could someone with the sidepods confirm that they would be able to hold a laptop?

I'm pretty sure they won't hold a 17" laptop, but a 14"?

Back when I had a Trice QNT, I stuffed a 12" iBook (in a Crumpler case) into my Sidepods on a moderately frequent basis. Didn't seem to have any particular problems, so a 14" might be possible but would probably end up rather close to the ground.

[XAP]Bob

It fits in the bag - Haven't tried on the trike yet...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
. I usually use my Ice rack with decent panniers now, unless I want to feel very streamlined (like today when I used sidepods).

Do you think there is a big difference between the sidepods and the panniers when it comes to streamlining Helen.

On my trike I used to have Ortileb panniers on the back rack and I never took them off and were totally waterproof and I could get as much gear in them as I needed.

I am just changing over to a Bacchetta Giro 26 and I will again have the rear rack and Ortilebs because the weight I carry is minimal, even with my camping gear.

Steve

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Do you think there is a big difference between the sidepods and the panniers when it comes to streamlining Helen.

On my trike I used to have Ortileb panniers on the back rack and I never took them off and were totally waterproof and I could get as much gear in them as I needed.
Hi Steve,

The weight difference/lack of streamlining is more that I have to put the rack on the Trice to carry the Vaude Panniers, whereas with the sidepods I don't have the rack so it all feels quicker. Mind you, the tail is more inclined to slide out when I don't have the rack on the back.

I'm interested in your sailcloth sidepods idea - might be worth looking further into. I do think the attachment of the sidepods isn't great where they clip on and off as they always sag badly - I would prefer something a little more secure but have never quite worked out how to do it!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The other thought I had apart from the sailcloth side bags, was to get 4 kit bag/sausage bags from my local motorcycle shop-

They cost about £8 each and are waterproof. I would then cut off the sealed end off one of the bags and sew it onto another, making a sealed sausage bag at both ends. I could then add a zip down the middle and using the spare cloth from the cut bag, I could add a covering flap over the zip for extra water protection and pockets where I wanted them.

All I need to do then is add securing straps where I want them. I think it would work and be more waterproof than the radicals, at a fraction of the price.

If I give it a go over the winter I will take some photos as I do it and post them on here.

Steve

Top Bottom