1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ICE

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Aint Skeered, 2 Nov 2007.

1. Aint Skeered

Aint Skeered New Member

I have only just heard of this, so apolagies if you already know about it.
    ICE (in case of emergency) put this on your mobile, as the emergency services look for this on a mobile in the case of an accident.
    you just need to put in your next of kin under this heading.
    God forbid that you ever need it

2. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Yurrsss, I use it, and encourage family and friends to do also...makes it easier for emergency servs to contact your family....

3. Smeggers

Smeggers New Member

I thought this would be about In Car Entertainment ;).

Good tip though - ta.

4. Brock

Brock Senior Member

Sounds sensible, why haven't I heard of this?

5. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

i've done it, although probably most people have "home", "mum" etc.

better safe than sorry though.

6. Brock

Brock Senior Member

Should I not put '999' as the number for ICE?

7. monnet

monnet Über Member

ICE is a good thing but I have read (possibly elsewhere on this forum) that it's something of a myth that the emergency services look for this. From what I know most of them have come across and so will make chack but their first check is usually for 'mum' or some such. One thing that is a good idea is something a mate of mine has done - he's put his wife in his phone as 'wife (name)' that way in an emergency his nearest can be found easily and they also have her name.

8. SamNichols

SamNichols New Member

Also it means that if you ever forget your wife's name, or confuse it with your mistress's name, then you can easily find it out.

9. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

yep it's important, thanks for reminding me. I have just updated my phone with the necessary, and also carry a paper based equivalent. After yesterdays near miss I can see it's importance.

10. Pete

Pete Guest

NO! Certainly not!! This is a number for the emergency services to use once they've been called out: not you, nor a member of the public. So that they can contact your next of kin.

11. Pete

Pete Guest

When we bought a new phone recently (as a spare) from the supermarket, the instructions that came with the phone explicitly advised you to enter an ICE number in the phonebook. So - if people are bothering to RTFM - they are probably doing just this, now.

12. yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth Master of all he surveys

Not sure where this originated but I heard about it and started doing it after the 07 July bombings at work.

13. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

Alternatively, get RoadID

14. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Take it from good authority that it's not a myth, and is widely recognised by Category 1 responders.

15. SamNichols

SamNichols New Member

What's a category 1 responder?