ICE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aint Skeered

I have only just heard of this, so apolagies if you already know about it.
ICE (in case of emergency) put this on your mobile, as the emergency services look for this on a mobile in the case of an accident.
you just need to put in your next of kin under this heading.
God forbid that you ever need it

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Yurrsss, I use it, and encourage family and friends to do also...makes it easier for emergency servs to contact your family....

monnet

Guru
ICE is a good thing but I have read (possibly elsewhere on this forum) that it's something of a myth that the emergency services look for this. From what I know most of them have come across and so will make chack but their first check is usually for 'mum' or some such. One thing that is a good idea is something a mate of mine has done - he's put his wife in his phone as 'wife (name)' that way in an emergency his nearest can be found easily and they also have her name.

SamNichols

monnet said:
ICE is a good thing but I have read (possibly elsewhere on this forum) that it's something of a myth that the emergency services look for this. From what I know most of them have come across and so will make chack but their first check is usually for 'mum' or some such. One thing that is a good idea is something a mate of mine has done - he's put his wife in his phone as 'wife (name)' that way in an emergency his nearest can be found easily and they also have her name.

Also it means that if you ever forget your wife's name, or confuse it with your mistress's name, then you can easily find it out.

Bigtallfatbloke

yep it's important, thanks for reminding me. I have just updated my phone with the necessary, and also carry a paper based equivalent. After yesterdays near miss I can see it's importance.

Pete

Brock said:
Should I not put '999' as the number for ICE?
NO! Certainly not!! This is a number for the emergency services to use once they've been called out: not you, nor a member of the public. So that they can contact your next of kin.

Pete

monnet said:
ICE is a good thing but I have read (possibly elsewhere on this forum) that it's something of a myth that the emergency services look for this.
When we bought a new phone recently (as a spare) from the supermarket, the instructions that came with the phone explicitly advised you to enter an ICE number in the phonebook. So - if people are bothering to RTFM - they are probably doing just this, now.

SamNichols

ArDee said:
Don't know how true it is; but, supposedly the emergency service look for ICE as checking your phone for Wife, Hubby, Home or Mum is an invasion of your privacy.

I suppose it could be, as something like: 'my husband' on a male patient could lead to discrimination.

Top Bottom