Iceland Volcanoes Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
An eruption of diffcult pronounciation will be bothering news readers once again.
The volcano Fagradalsfjall, part of the Krysuvik volcanic system on the Reykjanes peninsula SW of Reykjavik has started erupting . Eyewitness Rannveig Gudmundsdottir said "I can see the glowing red sky from my window, ( in Grindavik)"

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's a slowish lava eruption rather than an ash ejection though, I know the airport director at Keflavik and the local authorities aren't concerned that they have another Rjekanskjelfishlamentratatatarrkdottiraskan on their hands.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
i love a good eruption... there's some nice nighttime footage over at the Beeb. :okay:

Did anyone see Julia Bradbury's Iceland Walk all those years ago? They went up the flanks of Eyupfellabjorkull and sat on 'the newest hills on the planet', which were still warm! I thought it was fascinating.

They went up the flanks of Eyupfellabjorkull and sat on 'the newest hills on the planet', which were still warm! I thought it was fascinating.
If you've never been up a not-extinct volcano before, there's nothing quite like it.
I was surprised to find at the summit of Teide, before dawn, the air temp was well below freezing but the rocks were warm to touch, to the point where everyone was taking their gloves off and holding their hands against the rocks to get some heat into them.

Didn't half stink, though.

Really not very far from Reykjavik at all.
Once all this *gestures vaguely at everything* is over I really owe it to myself to spend a couple of months touring Iceland.
We did that a couple of years ago. Went at this time of year. Hired a Shogun with studded tyres. Had a great time.
Here's a photo at the ruined Dakota when the Aurora was doing it's stuff.

web cam live stream from Fagradalsfjall, facing Geldingadalur now set up by the islanders .Hope no puffins or others are harmed in the making of this new landscape.

Hawkwind called. They would like their psychedelic artwork back...
Sorry, no chance.
We were lucky. The Aurora started in the afternoon when it was still daylight and carried on till 4 AM. Just superb and even the locals said it was one of the best ever. We were out all night in -10 degrees. We went to Gulfoss waterfall and our camera gear received a coating of ice from the frozen spray.
The Shogun and studded tyres was used to the full.

It's a slowish lava eruption rather than an ash ejection though, I know the airport director at Keflavik and the local authorities aren't concerned that they have another Rjekanskjelfishlamentratatatarrkdottiraskan on their hands.
Not so many folk flying this time anyway.

We were caught up in the last one. Turned up at Schipol for our flight home to be greeted with "cancelled" on everything on the departure boards. That was an interesting day...

DRM

Guru
If you've never been up a not-extinct volcano before, there's nothing quite like it.
I was surprised to find at the summit of Teide, before dawn, the air temp was well below freezing but the rocks were warm to touch, to the point where everyone was taking their gloves off and holding their hands against the rocks to get some heat into them.

Didn't half stink, though.
Went up Mount Vesuvius a few years back, it's fascinating to look into crater and smell the sulphur, I do believe it's overdue blowing it's top too.

Top Bottom