Iceland Volcanoes Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Went to La Palma, with @Rickshaw Phil 3 years ago and went up the volcano there. Amazing scenery! Around that time, geologists had been measuring hundreds of small earthquakes and were concerned there was a possibility it could erupt again......nothing has ever happened though.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Best I can do is Timanfaya on Lanzarote.
When the big Iceland one went up I was stuck in Singapore for nearly a week. Sounds ok but I ended up out on my ear from the hotel I was in and very nearly on the street; finally found a room at the Sentosa resort.

Iceland was on the list for a family trip BC - hoping we can get there some time.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Went up Stromboli a few years ago. It was quite active that evening, and an experience I will never forget - sitting there watching, hearing and feeling the power of the earth just made me feel very small, insignificant and powerless.

We stayed on Etna that holiday too, in a ski-resort. We were going to have a look at the craters, but there had been a bit of activity recently, so we weren't allowed up to the very top. A few weeks later it blew, and sent a stream of lava which took out the hotel we were staying in.

I still have a volcanic bomb that I picked up from the slopes of Etna. Was quite surprised how casual the guide was about letting us take souvenirs, until I twigged that they were well aware that there were plenty more pyroclasts on the way, and that they weren't going to run out in my lifetime, no matter how many people took pieces away.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Fascinating material for geology-in-action videos at the moment. However something like covid + Fagradalsfjall + a meteorite strike may one day be the start of the great Anthropocene extinction. We live in hope…

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
I've been to Iceland twice, honeymoon in 1993 and a long weekend in December 2018. There were far more tourists out and about in -10C in December than there were in sunny August!

Landmannalaugar 1993 -

A random roadside geysir-

Blue Lagoon 1993, now utterly spoiled (turned into a luxury spa) and not recommended, but back then it was just a changing hut beside the power station outfall. The weirdest place I've ever swum -

Gulfoss 2018 -

Aurora, Reykjavik, 2018. Too much Icelandic beer to jump into the car and get away from street lights -

1993 all I could afford was a Nissan Micra, but it coped OK with the mainly gravel roads. 2018 I hired a 4x4. Waste of money, all the roads are now tarmac and all cars have studded ice tyres in winter.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O46nVKTdpBc

In case anyone's interested, a live cam feed from the volcano.

snorri

Legendary Member
I took a spin up a side road during a cycle tour in Iceland to be met by what had obviously been the site of a fairly cataclysmic event, Ground vegetation had been flattened by the passage of much water and lumps of ice, many the size of a big car, were lying around randomly. It appeared that a glacier had burst out.
In the UK we would expect to see lots of red plastic barriers at such a site, and probably road closed signs but here there was a rather drab sign on a post stuck in the ground with the message "THERE IS UNREST IN MYRDAL".
I liked that:smile:

Top Bottom