Iceland Volcanoes Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru

classic33

Leg End Member

Drago

Legendary Member
But it has now!! Feel for those who have lost their homes and businesses.
Note to self - don't build a home or business on a volcano that has been active in living memory.

I have every sympathy with those thatnhave lost their property and possession, but surely they must all have realised the potential for things to end very badly? S'like houses on floodplains - no shortage of folk daft enough to buy them.

Baldy

Über Member
It could erupt tomorrow or not for thousands of years. Volcanic soils are very fertile. If you live on an island land is at a premium so you take what's available. People have been living next to volcanos since the year dot, there is a reason why.

Note to self - don't build a home or business on a volcano that has been active in living memory.

I have every sympathy with those thatnhave lost their property and possession, but surely they must all have realised the potential for things to end very badly? S'like houses on floodplains - no shortage of folk daft enough to buy them.

Slightly off topic, but I read of a bloke that was so concerned by the messages about flooding, he bought a house half way up a mountain, which was then flooded when the snow on the peak thawed in the spring. It's not always obvious from media articles, but some of the most frequently flooded places are inland, and affected by land management and drainage failures etc.

Baldy

Über Member
Volcanoes erupting, earthquake in Australia, floods in Asia and America, coronavirus; all we need now is a right good nuclear war for the full set. It's all down to a shortage of lorry drivers. We're all doomed I tell ye! :ohmy:
You mist out the plague of frogs!

Drago

Legendary Member
Volcanoes erupting, earthquake in Australia, floods in Asia and America, coronavirus; all we need now is a right good nuclear war for the full set. It's all down to a shortage of lorry drivers. We're all doomed I tell ye! :ohmy:
Im thinking of blaming the Mail for all this. They're not a very good newspaper, but they seem to be becoming a tabloid NOSTRADAMUS of LATE!

It could erupt tomorrow or not for thousands of years. Volcanic soils are very fertile. If you live on an island land is at a premium so you take what's available. People have been living next to volcanos since the year dot, there is a reason why.
There is a reason why folks bet thousands on a race-horse. Doesn't make it sensible!
If we're talking about poor farmers who have little choice, and can't fly to a safer more prosperous country, then you may have a point.
If someone builds their dream mansion somewhere beautiful-but-doomed, then I have little sympathy for their gamble.

mustang1

Legendary Member
This will add to the climate change. We should plug the volcano like Mr Spock did in Star Trek. But who knows what unforeseen disasters lurk when you stop the earth popping it's spots.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
This will add to the climate change. We should plug the volcano like Mr Spock did in Star Trek. But who knows what unforeseen disasters lurk when you stop the earth popping it's spots.
Starfleet policy is not to give out advanced cold fusion technology to lesser developed civilisations:whistle:. Besides, there's something oddly hypnotic about lava demolishing stuff....

classic33

Leg End Member
Where the lava has got to
la_palmka_l.jpg

And a fuller picture
https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/lapalma/sep2021seismic-crisis/current-activity.html

mustang1

Legendary Member
Starfleet policy is not to give out advanced cold fusion technology to lesser developed civilisations:whistle:. Besides, there's something oddly hypnotic about lava demolishing stuff....
If Starfleet did not break protocols, they might as well make a program about accountants! Well, not sayinig accountants dont break protocol, but accountancy is boring regardless of if they break protocol or not!

Top Bottom