Iceland Volcanoes Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
Went up Mount Vesuvius a few years back, it's fascinating to look into crater and smell the sulphur, I do believe it's overdue blowing it's top too.
Had to do my dissertation on Vesuvius, the magma chamber is empty it's not likely to erupt. In face the top of the mountain is subsiding. Just as well really because the evacuation plan is pure fantasy.

I took a spin up a side road during a cycle tour in Iceland to be met by what had obviously been the site of a fairly cataclysmic event, Ground vegetation had been flattened by the passage of much water and lumps of ice, many the size of a big car, were lying around randomly. It appeared that a glacier had burst out.
In the UK we would expect to see lots of red plastic barriers at such a site, and probably road closed signs but here there was a rather drab sign on a post stuck in the ground with the message "THERE IS UNREST IN MYRDAL".
I liked that:smile:
It's impossible not to read that in the voice of Ian McKellan.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Yes quite frightening that new fissure as people were all over the area. A geologist previously highlighted a number of potential fissure sites in the area, yet people still fart about with it. One guy I saw cooking hotdogs on the lava. This fissure popped up quite quickly, there was a thud reported then bubbling lava... There are adventure, thrill seekers and then there are fools...

Lava is relatively safe stuff; it releases pressure. Best not to get too close, but you could say that about an angry dog.

Buildup of pressure is what makes eruptions, and that's what you need to worry about (as do the airlines, if anyone still cares about them).

Lava is very pretty! You could probably make quite a good household ornament with some?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Lava is relatively safe stuff; it releases pressure. Best not to get too close, but you could say that about an angry dog.

Buildup of pressure is what makes eruptions, and that's what you need to worry about (as do the airlines, if anyone still cares about them).

Lava is very pretty! You could probably make quite a good household ornament with some?
Oh yes, the lava is slow flowing, unless it's Nyamuragira in DR Congo, which can have lava flows upto 60kph. But it's the fissures that seeming can open up anywhere on the sight of Geldinga Valley in Iceland. Its amazing stuff mind, I've been watching the livestream this morning, I would love to go and see it, from a safe distance of course. Amazing stuff...

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Oh yes, the lava is slow flowing, unless it's Nyamuragira in DR Congo, which can have lava flows upto 60kph. But it's the fissures that seeming can open up anywhere on the sight of Geldinga Valley in Iceland. Its amazing stuff mind, I've been watching the livestream this morning, I would love to go and see it, from a safe distance of course. Amazing stuff...

Some footage here. Apparently, he's already lost three drones but seeing what he has been flying them through, I'm not surprised.

Baldy

Über Member

It's a bit more complicated than that but yes, gasses and especially water dissolved in the magma. As the magma is erupted they're released like the bubbles in champagne.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
In the past couple of weeks, the lava outlet has been from one large cone, which has gone into full geyser mode every three to four minutes, with a maximum height of 400m. This link is the latest of a line of news reports by this presenter, along with a clearly very able cameraman. The night-time drone footage in the last 5 minutes or so is stunning:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
There's one volcano in Iceland I'd like to visit:
428d3c169d90066ac51b4f6fe0a1b309.jpg

Follow the three notches.....

I just found a web site called geologistsinmovies😄

Top Bottom