Idea for Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
The Brompton is a great little bike, however there is one little gripe I have with its design and that is with the seat post. When I extend the seat post to use it I am forever having to fiddle to get the height just right. I know I can make a mark with a Sharpie; but Brompton could improve the design of the seat post by stamping in markings so that you can get to your position quickly.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
How would you know which marking to use?

It irritates me a bit too, mainly in the dark when I can't see the mark anyway :smile: To be honest though I don't think having the height spot on matters much for my 5 mile ride. It's more important to have the seat straight - I have to stop and adjust it If I get the wrong.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Make a mental note of where the saddle comes to on your hip. Youll get the correct saddle height every time.
This is what I do too ^^^

@Matthames. All you need do is direct Andrew Ritchie to his nearest branch of Decathlon, the B'Twin Tilt range has exactly what you suggest.

My Brompton bugbear is the spinny frame clamps. I'm no engineer but have a couple of different ways in my head that'd stop that happening and there's and (expensive) aftermarket replacement set that works too.

I use the extended seat post and the extension to adjust the height, then clamp in place

Just pull the main seatpost to the upper limit and I am sorted!

Sara_H

Guru
My decathlon folding bike has numbered markings on the seatpost. It's very handy. Get it right every time with no faffing.

Brommyboy

Über Member
All you need to do when the seat post is at the correct height, is to mark the spot with a punch! This will make a very small indentation without weakening the post. You can then put a spot of paint in to show it up better.

StuartG

slower but further
For even greater ease adjust the length of your leg. Mine @ 32" is a perfect fit for a fully extended standard seatpost. Just makes unfolding so much slicker

Stamping anything into the seatpost will cause additional wear to the plastic sleeve in the frame. Kamoya do a little brass stop that wraps around the post and ensures the saddle is straight. Tape it to the post to get the right height and then glue it in place.

Brooks have made many saddles without leather, including in their current range.

The slightest corrosion on the seatpost causes wear to the sleeve, meaning the seatpost clamp needs to be tightened over time. Even roughly finished aftermarket seatposts do the same thing. I fold my Brompton at least 4 times every working day and don't need any additional wear anywhere on the bike.

A scale still doesn't align the saddle or give a positive height regardless of lighting. A Kamoya height stop does both.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I heard today that Brompton are bringing out a gadget that will fit in the seat post and mark the position for you.

The expert at my local LBS was at a Brompton event yesterday and is very excited about that and one or two other things that are in the pipeline :smile:

Top Bottom