Idea of a pressie for a road cycling mad dad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bubble

Hi, My dad is 70 next fri and is cycling mad. I live here in England and my dad lives in Ireland(where I am from) I am going ovr on FRi for a surprise party for himadn am trying to think of a unique gift for him...has anyone got any ideas? My dad was a semi-pro road cyclista dn is now a commaser (?sp) for all the main races.

Noodley

Hi bubble.
Any chance of a bit more info?
Does he still ride? Has he any cycling heroes? What is your budget? What does he like? Do you want to get him something he "needs" or something he'll remember as "special"? (I know you said "unique", but that could mean you show him you went out of your way to get something he "needs" I suppose) Any info would be good...

OP
OP
B

bubble

Hi, He does still ride but has parkinsons so shouldnt really be but he loves it. Cycling heros- not sure. Budget-£100. Something 'special' not really something he needs for the bike as I think he has it all....

Noodley

Thanks for that. I am trying to think of something you could pick up by Friday...if there was more time I could suggest a few things but I think they would only be readily available on t'internet - if it were me, bearing in mind I don't know your dad, I would be thinking about a framed cycling print. But you may not have enough time to get this organised...

...a forum tip: maybe post this question in "cafe" as well as "road, rides and audax" and you'll get more people helping. :rolleyes:

I'll go and have a think.

Noodley

Keith Oates said:
A book or DVD of his favorite cyclist could be an option!!!!!!!!!!!

That was what I was thinking Keith, so if you could find out his "hero" or favourite cyclist...not wanting to sound too stereotypical but if he's Irish maybe Sean Kelly? I found a Sean Kelly print from the Paris-Roubaix road race which might have been an option to get framed, but the timescale is against you.

there are some good books about the classic bike races available...I would not choose a particular cyclist unless you know who he likes.

yenrod

You could try for a small Statue of a cyclist and have engraved on it your Dads name - just imagine having a model cyclist with your name in it given as a present, thats not bad I reckon !

Pity it's such short notice.
Presumably he has lots of contacts in the cycling world. It might have been good to maybe have involved them.
For my parents golden anniversary I made up a book of photographs taken through their marriage. I drew up a list of their surviving friends and sent pages with a gold coloured pen for them to write a message which they returned to me and I included them in the book.
My father was a piper for most of his life and taught children to play. When he retired from the band some of the pipers came to the house in full uniform and presented him with a statuette of a piper. They then played some tunes outside and all the neighbours came out to listen.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
A fantastic bit of kit
http://four4th.co.uk/products/lights/scorpion/

CitI5EeN.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom