Ideal therapy dog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm currently going through training to be a therapy dog handler as an additional qualification to my Occupational Therapy training. I grew up with a dog but haven't owned one since I left home.

Now I'm wondering what type of dog would be best if/when I finally get one.

Pedigrees are fine and mongrels are possible as long as I know their heritage but rescue dogs are out because we don't know how they may react in certain situations.

The dog would obviously need to be friendly and like people, which is as much an individual thing as breed, but it would also need to be a breed people aren't prejudiced against like a pit bull or a Dobermann.

Apart from that:

I work with a wide age range including children but mostly I'm with young adults, often men with Psychological issues and addiction issues. I don't think they'd relate well to a spaniel or a chihuahua. The dog wouldn't have to be big but would need to have 'presence'. I grew up with a West Highland and she commanded respect despite being small.

Non shedding would be great but not essential.

Suggestions I've had so far were Jack Russel, West Highland, Border Terrier, Shiba. At the other end of the range Berners or Huskies were suggested. Huskies aren't great for small children but they'd have more energy than my grown up clients...

Any thoughts?
Whippets. Often used in old peoples homes as rhey are both docile and very affectionate. Not hugely poweful or heavy so not likely to knock anybody over.

david k

Hi
My shorkie is very loving and friendly, great with others dogs too

Attachments

• IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0940.JPG
    IMG_0940.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0941.JPG
    IMG_0941.JPG