ideal weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As said above it depends a lot on your build and what you want to do when you ride, if your a mesomorph that loves to sprint then losing weight might not help but an ectomorph who loves to climb it will help a lot .
Age can also be a factor as you get on a bit you can put a bit on.
I am 5 foot 7" with a medium build and i currently hover around 10 and a half stone but ...
i like food
i have a job that involves lifting
i do not get enough miles in.
having said all that i found i now fly up hills compared to a few years ago when i weighed over half a stone more and my strava times have tumbled .

Andy_G

Im 5'10 and 15st, fair do's i could do with dropping another 1-1.5 stone but any more and ill look ill, and according to the NHS BMI calculator im obese.
I dont give a crap about weight calculators and i hardly weigh myself anymore even though im still kind of dieting, i spent to long sticking to a calorie controlled diet and running on empty, so i now just eat healthy but a bit more of it and i can still shift weight but then screw up weekends, but i have loads more energy.

Kies

I'm 5-11 and used to weigh 15.4 stones.
By xmas 2012 i was down to 13.4 stone.
Rare winter riding means i'm now 13.10 stones

Bike speeds have been very telling across all 3 weights,and i'm trying to shift 1/2 a stone and get into the low 13's. The extra has made me slower on the hills and where my buddy leaves me standing

uclown2002

Guru
I'm 5' 9.5", small frame and keep between 143-147 pounds, which I think suits me. Been down to 137 pounds, just to have a look but definitely looked too thin.
3 years ago I was tipping the scales at 14 stone before I got my backside moving. On the theme of "I/others tell me I/look ill at xx stone, I was getting this at 12' from people who knew me and were conditioned to seeing me in a certain way. It was ridiculous as I was still carrying far too much weight:My goal at the outset was 11 stone, as I thought that'd be a good weight. I didn't get my bike until I reached my 11 stone goal, and with the better eating habits and increased exercise that come with it, my weight naturally kept dropping. Consequently, my fitness and speed kept improving.

So my message to OP is take with a pinch of salt what others tell you; like my experience they are conditioned to seeing you in a certain way, so will naturally think you have lost too much weight if you don't meet their expectations. When I was 12 stone I certainly didn't look overweight in clothes but I knew!

I very much doubt your performance levels will drop if you lose some more weight; you more likely will see an increase in performance and energy levels like I experienced.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
People seem to think that I am no longer fat because of how much slimmer my face is. I point to the roll of fat round my waist and they say "Yes, but everyone has a couple of inches of spare tyre!"
  1. That isn't true - there are quite a few slim, athletic people about.
  2. I don't care about everybody else - they can be whatever size they want to be - I want to be slim again!
  3. My 'spare tyre' is not a couple of inches - it is more like a foot! :blush:

Ningishzidda

The 10 mile TT course I ride is mainly up a slow gradient for the first half and down a slow gradient for the second half. One of my team mates who is about the same height as I, decided he needed to lose some weight. We were both around 200 lbs.
I decided I would increase my FTP and not worry about my weight.

How it ended at the season's close was I won 7 races and he didn't win any. He lost his power. I gained.

In the 10 mile TT, I gave it full bat up the slow gradient, knowing I had FLA ( fat lad's advantage ) in the second half. :whistle:

He was a big guy,,,
http://www.recordholders.org/en/records/roller1.html

karl61

i'm 5' 7" and also 11 st, i'm trying to get down to 10.5 st to see what the difference will be to my riding. i come from a body building background but as i've got older i have found it more difficult on the recovery side, so now i do just light weights and cv work. i used to be 13.5 st in those days, as the weight as been coming off i do find i feel a lot colder, especially yesterday on my ride out. this year i'm doing lejog in august so hopefully i will have found an ideal wt.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The 10 mile TT course I ride is mainly up a slow gradient for the first half and down a slow gradient for the second half. One of my team mates who is about the same height as I, decided he needed to lose some weight. We were both around 200 lbs.
I decided I would increase my FTP and not worry about my weight.

How it ended at the season's close was I won 7 races and he didn't win any. He lost his power. I gained.

In the 10 mile TT, I gave it full bat up the slow gradient, knowing I had FLA ( fat lad's advantage ) in the second half. :whistle:

He was a big guy,,,
http://www.recordholders.org/en/records/roller1.html
Did your mate's weight loss give him any advantages over longer distances and hillier climbs?

Top Bottom