Ideale leather saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have this rather sad looking leather saddle in the garage and just wandered what will be the best way forward ?

Someone has suggested rubbing the dried out leather down to remove the broken bits then re treat with proofhide .

That sounds harsh to me

IMG_20181202_090317521.jpg IMG_20181202_090326792.jpg IMG_20181202_090330605.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Brooks i have wasn’t as bad as that but I just smothered it in proofide several times and left it a few days in between coats. It revived quite nicely.

I’m no expert though and yours looks worse than mine.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I realise that you are far better qualified than me when it comes to renovation of all things to do with classic and vintage bikes, but there comes a time when the best way forward is ...... the bin! To my untrained eye that leather looks beyond salvage as it's so badly cracked and dried out. Once you remove the broken bits, there won't be much left. I look forward to being proved wrong though as it's always good to see stuff like that brought back from the dead. Good luck!

I have this rather sad looking leather saddle in the garage and just wandered what will be the best way forward ?

Someone has suggested rubbing the dried out leather down to remove the broken bits then re treat with proofhide .

That sounds harsh to me

View attachment 441123 View attachment 441124 View attachment 441125

I was wondering if you did as CarlP said by putting some life back into it with Proofide or dubbin first and then sort out the cracking later.

It would be a good experiment.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Are those really pop-rivets on the nose? They probably won't last long.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Are those really pop-rivets on the nose? They probably won't last long.
I was wondering about those rivets. Has it been repaired in the past maybe?

I think it would be an interesting exercise to attempt a rejuvination. The experience might come in handy later on for other saddles.

simongt

Guru
Agree with the plenty of dubbin to begin with, several not too thick coats carefully rubbed in with a digit and pop it in the airing cupboard between coats allowing the dubbin to soak in. :thumbsup: Once the leather has reacted or not, you can decide from there. But as has been observed, what appear to be pop rivets are a bit concerning. :sad:

Top Bottom