Ideas for checking for cars approaching from behind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm must agree with zeclaud. I'm not particularly flexible but don't have any problems glancing behind. You need to be looking left and right regularly any way, which too few riders do, and no mirror can do that for you anyway.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If you are hard of hearing you can't hear things behind- don't know anyone who uses headphones either- a mirror is great but few give you a clear rear view which isn't obscured by your own body getting in the way... that frame clamped one has been photoshopped - it would just give you a lovely view of your knee and torso!

I find it's a waste of time riding two abreast as you are constantly checking behind to pull in to let cars past... it's not a relaxing ride and is more hassle than it's worth attempting a conversation which I can't hear and if you don't pull in then you don't need to know what's behind you because you don't care anyway.

Last edited:

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
I'm must agree with zeclaud. I'm not particularly flexible but don't have any problems glancing behind. You need to be looking left and right regularly any way, which too few riders do, and no mirror can do that for you anyway.
I agree, get into the habit of doing it and eventually it becomes automatic

stephec

Legendary Member
I agree, get into the habit of doing it and eventually it becomes automatic

Same here, there's no substitute for a look over the shoulder.

It always amazes me when I see a cyclist riding towards the back of a parked car who suddenly veers right without even a glance over the shoulder.

Archie_tect

But tho be fair stephec people behind a bike approaching a parked car know they are going to pull out so it's hardly a surprise when they do.

stephec

Legendary Member
But tho be fair stephec people behind a bike approaching a parked car know they are going to pull out so it's hardly a surprise when they do.

I was thinking more from the point of view as to why you would just assume it's safe to pull out without checking, there's always the chance of a smidsy, it only takes a second or two to avoid it.

It's no good being able to say, "I was in the right there, you should've known what I was going to do," if you're in a hospital bed when you're saying it.

vickster

Legendary Member
You'd think but it's often not the case. Many seem to think a cyclist is going to stop behind a parked car and let them go past!

Archie_tect

I've never met an inconsiderate driver up here TC... though when we've hired bikes 'down south' there have been a few occasions as you describe!

Archie_tect

Perhaps it comes down to road positioning and confidence... and checking behind, though I've never stopped behind a parked vehicle yet.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
You'd think but it's often not the case. Many seem to think a cyclist is going to stop behind a parked car and let them go past!
yup... i think in the driver's version of the HC, there a bit that says "cyclists must give way to traffic behind them" although I'm yet to find a copy of the Driver's HC to check.

To the OP... just use your head... in more ways than one.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I find it's a waste of time riding two abreast as you are constantly checking behind to pull in to let cars past... it's not a relaxing ride and is more hassle than it's worth attempting a conversation which I can't hear and if you don't pull in then you don't need to know what's behind you because you don't care anyway.
Depends where you are. Out on the fens yesterday, we went along a couple of 2.5mile straights, sometimes able to see around the next few bends too, so little traffic that we could chat even one in front of another. The main incentive not to ride two abreast was the Dutch mountain we were climbing ;)

Anyway, look around occasionally. I've never found a mirror I like that both works and doesn't get in the way. I can look around fairly easily without weaving (99.5% of the time) although I do ease off a bit because I can't quite bring myself to power into a space I'm not looking at.

Top Bottom