ideas for nutrition please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah ok, missed that one! :blush:

ASC1951

Guru
It seems to be a psychological thing, but I don't know what to do! It's like anything fruit related just tastes too "earthy" if that makes sense?
I'm sure you're right about the psychological element - people don't get to 25st unless they have 'an abnormal relationship with food', 'body image issues' and all the rest of the bolloxy jargon. So being told you are lazy isn't particularly helpful.

FWIW, the hate fruit/don't like veg will be a big part of the 25st, because you are restricted to food that is full of calories and lower in vitamins and minerals. Everything you need to know about healthy eating is here http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/healthy-eating/Pages/Healthyeating.aspx but that's not the issue - you know the facts, but cannot follow the advice.

If it was me, I would be along to my GP, emphasising the 'aversion' problem and demanding a referral to a nutritionist and clinical psychologist. The NHS has a budget for this stuff and it will make a change for your GP from giving advice to people who don't even believe they have a problem. No-one thinks it's odd to try hypnosis for smoking, for instance, so what's wrong with addressing your unhealthy diet some of Granny Weatherwax's headology? And anyone who thinks that is lazy/weak/feeble-minded can go tickle.

Zofo

Veteran
I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I don't really eat much veg, and I HATE fruit, the only thing I'll eat fruit related is pineapple, and even then that's only on the odd occassion that I can stomach it.

I've thought about forcing myself to eat banana's but not yet been able to bring myself to try one.

To be honest, I've not even tried most of the fruit out there. So far, to my knowledge....I've tried:

apples.....hated them
pears.....hated them
strawberry....hated that (the first time i tried a strawberry in my 32 year life was about 2 months ago)
grapes......hated them
melon.....hated them too

It seems to be a psychological thing, but I don't know what to do! It's like anything fruit related just tastes too "earthy" if that makes sense?

Please help!

How old are you, 7?!

i must say from a novice to cycling the CC has been a great source of tips hints etc from "advanced" "experienced" riders.
but reading the above replies from those better in the know (apparently) it's disgusting and almost a form of bullying....do you honestly think such sarcastic cheeky personal replies are:
1) funny?
2) accepatable on such pages?

Seriously think whoever is responsible for this site needs to address these idiots.

Berties

Fast and careful!
i must say from a novice to cycling the CC has been a great source of tips hints etc from "advanced" "experienced" riders.
but reading the above replies from those better in the know (apparently) it's disgusting and almost a form of bullying....do you honestly think such sarcastic cheeky personal replies are:
1) funny?
2) accepatable on such pages?

Seriously think whoever is responsible for this site needs to address these idiots.

Mate!! i always have respect for the op and believe he or she has either got a valid question or interest,and deserves a structured answer,even if its only your experience ,some forum members are key board warriors,there seems to be patches of unnecsary comments i put it down to the moon,don't be put off ,all forums go through it,some members are more established and should be able to guide the thread in the way it was meant to go,and i have seen the mods do this,if you are not happy about a comment you can always either say so or report it,but it is a forum and members are allowed there say,

Might be a ddaft question from me but have you tried different varieties of some fruits? There's a bit of diversity among apples (not much admittedly) and as a kid I only ever had golden delicious or granny smiths. Only had the wider varieties as an adult. Never had the chance to try different oranges until I could buy my own. Really. I've never liked oranges but love clementines. If you know anyone who has an apple tree there's always a difference in favour but limited to seasonal availabilty. As for veg have you tried different quick preparation method?. A bit of stir fry or even a decent salad dressing can make a world of difference. Favourite student one was ketchup mixed with mayonnaise. 20 seconds to do and probably not that great for you but it meant I shovelled a load of salad veg with it.

Berries are a personal favourite. Go some growing in the garden and they are extra nice.

I also have issues with fruit, mostly because it rips the surface off my tongue and leaves me with burns throughout my mouth (known medical condition btw), but as I have gotten older the varities of fruits has increased and i have found one or two individual varieties that I am able to eat. But I still find I can not stand the texture of most apples - in fact I will only eat 1 type of apple when it is in season (braeburn), but I can manage mango when the condition is not playing up. Some oranges have crept into the diet as well, recently when I had the ability to try ripe oranges off a tree. Very fresh fruit tastes some much different that it could be worth simply visiting a Pick Your Own place (whist the season is still running, you are coming to the end of it soon) and trying them there - go with someone who will eat what you have picked though! It really does taste some much better.

However, I can sympathise, even the very thought (and smell) of some fruit, like bananas, pineapple etc, makes me feel ill because I have become so conditioned to avoiding them over the years, and the smell of those makes me feel sick. Avoiding them in foods is difficult.

How are you with fruit juices like orange juice then? the smoothie suggestion is not a bad idea. I was thinking if you are OK with orange juice, then you could add some additional ingredients via a liquidiser such as a few raspberries to orange juice (just not in the concentrations that commerically available alternatives have) and slowly introduce them into your diet.

Also be careful where you buy fruit from - I have found that certain supermarkets/markets the fruit is like acid and of poor quality and has little to no taste and is best avoided. The more expensive end of the market seems to have better more tasty fruit and if I was trying to introduce it to someone, that is where I would buy it from.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Please be considerate when replying!!

Many people have foods they simply don't like or can't stand to eat - I'm told, over and over, that cheese is a wonderful food - but unless it's melted on pizza or a burger I'm simply not a fan (to the point where I've gagged and ran to the kitchen bin to get it out of my mouth). It's both the taste and texture for me.
I agree - there have been some pretty negative and unhelpful remarks. I knew somone who suffered from anorexia and it was very hard not to shout at them 'just eat the damn food' but shouting doesn't work. How do you help someone with a psychological problem by calling them pathetic for having the problem!

Shaun - to illustrate how different we all are - I have a friend with the opposite problem to you... He can't stand the smell of melted cheese! I have known him 46 years and we only had one argument, and that was when I took a pizza into his car! I had worked Saturday morning and he then picked me up to go ten pin bowling. I was hungry so I had bought a pizza to eat on the way to the alley. He started complaining about the smell of the cheese but I thought he was kidding. He then got really agitated and began retching which annoyed me so much that I wound the window down and threw the pizza out. (Yes, I know - litter!) He will eat a much wider range of Indian and Chinese food than me but he still will not go near melted cheese...

fossala

Guru
It is relevant, have people in Africa that don't have a lot of food have these conditions. It makes me think it is self imposed. The are 101 excuses for not liking food. The only real one is that they like burgers and chips. Ask about these problems 50-100 years ago in this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom