Ideas to making cycling safer in London and towns and cities up and down the land....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nantmor

The reason I am concerned for your safety is that you may not spot some driver in your dangerous categories. Don't expect a vintage VW to not contain a crop haired lesbian driver. A reflection from the windscreen or a too hasty glance behind you may mean you miss some vital clue. I feel you should always fall back on your fail-safe behaviour and treat all cars, vans and lorries, not to mention buses as if they were being driven by an illiterate Gujerati with a ton of crack cocaine concealed under the floor. Don't trust any of the bastards, and you won't go far wrong. Even what looks like a true born Englishman in an (here fill in name of car acceptable to you) may turn out to be a Guardian reading bonehead.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
A spare rib tickler driving a Classic VW I would treat as courteous but I would hope I could tell the gender. This is a problem actually because a lot of young lads look a bit puffy these days and a lot of girls are displaying lad like behaviour so it's not easy. Fortunately I live in a part of Manchester where there aren't many Guardian readers but there are a lot on boneheads. There are also a lot of rug munchers, bi's and boys who like boys and boys who look like girls and girls who look like boys that like boys and girls who look like boys but like girls.......hang on. I'm going to have to re-visit my model and get back to you when I've sorted this out

Nantmor

You haven't got on to cyclists yet. Can you help us out with a categorisation of cyclists, by nationality, hair length, sex, bike make and type, sexual orientation preferred drug and daily newspaper.
How can you tell there aren't many Guardian readers in Manchester? It used to be the Manchester Guardian after all. I fear you may be right about the boneheads, though.
Please, abandon your attempts to spot bad drivers, just treat them all the same. The only safe way is to assume they will all do the most dangerous thing in any situation and to rejoice when they don't.
"Look a bit puffy these days" ! You should have heard what the squares called youths like me forty years ago. (I presume you mean pouffy, not bloated).

Bicycle

This thread is an education.

I keep looking for myself in there, but despite my occasionally quite dreadful driving, I seem to have skipped nimble-footed between any of the areas flagged up by MohicanCat.

I don't want to reveal the car I drive or my nationality, in case I am added to the list.

hobo

O' wise one
I find Volvo drivers are the best and i like women drivers even though they arent as good judging time and spacings they are slower and more cautious than men.

Nantmor

I find Volvo drivers are the best and i like women drivers even though they arent as good judging time and spacings they are slower and more cautious than men.

I expect most have heard that because of an EU ruling against sex discrimination women will now have to pay higher insurance premiums, because previously they were assessed as a better risk than men.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I just assume all drivers are cocks. Including me if I'm driving. Some will consciously attempt to scare, injure, inconvenience, or kill me whilst others will achieve the same ends unconsciously.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
You should have heard what the squares called youths like me forty years ago. (I presume you mean pouffy, not bloated).
Nantmor. Referring to some people as "squares" is really quite insulting! And, furthermore, mummy and daddy run a newsagents and they only sell red top papers due to demand. I'm obviously a little more sophisticated than that but it appears everyone around here likes boobies, X-factor and Kerry Katona. A little off subject but I found out yesterday that females working for CAB don't like being referred to as "love". And I thought I knew everything - it was actually a puffy chap there that objected though so it might just have been him. If either of them were driving they'd be - approach with caution.

Dan_h

It's just a starting point. The list is by no means exhaustive. Just follow the main indicators and I've found you can't go far wrong. Yeah, If a woman tries to look like a man, it does make identification more difficult, but then I'd go to different indicators.....is the car pink, is it a Ford KA or a Peugeot 206cc, does she need 7 yards of gap on her side while you squeeze past 12 inches on your side. It may be a peculiar view to some but it's kept me alive for nearly 4 and a half months now.

So what you are basically saying is if you see anyone driving any sort of vehicle then beware! :thumbsup:

Bicycle

I just assume all drivers are cocks. Including me if I'm driving. Some will consciously attempt to scare, injure, inconvenience, or kill me whilst others will achieve the same ends unconsciously.

Driving while unconscious? That is both impressive and dangerous.

Top Bottom