Identical route - E-bike vs road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Magpies

I was surprised that an e-bike gives me a better workout than my road bike over a flat 10 mile (16 km) route, not pushing hard. And both are equally quick (or equally slow, depending on your point of view).

Road bike
Weighs 10 kg
Time taken 37 mins
Average speed 25.6 km/h
Heart rate >2x resting rate - for 10 mins
Calories 250

E-bike
Weighs 25 kg
Time taken 38 mins
Average speed 25.5 km/h
Heart rate >2x resting rate - for 22 mins
Calories 475

Since my average speed was >25 km/h (at which point the e-bike motor cuts out), I'm guessing the extra calories and effort are expended to push the heavier e-bike along unaided most of the time.

si_c

Guru
I was surprised that an e-bike gives me a better workout than my road bike over a flat 10 mile (16 km) route, not pushing hard. And both are equally quick (or equally slow, depending on your point of view).

Road bike
Weighs 10 kg
Time taken 37 mins
Average speed 25.6 km/h
Heart rate >2x resting rate - for 10 mins
Calories 250

E-bike
Weighs 25 kg
Time taken 38 mins
Average speed 25.5 km/h
Heart rate >2x resting rate - for 22 mins
Calories 475

Since my average speed was >25 km/h (at which point the e-bike motor cuts out), I'm guessing the extra calories and effort are expended to push the heavier e-bike along unaided most of the time.

I'd query the calorific burn there for that - twice the calories for the same speed and HR? Doesn't seem right to me - it's likely that the app isn't accounting for the motor assist.

Venod

Eh up
I'd query the calorific burn there for that - twice the calories for the same speed and HR? Doesn't seem right to me - it's likely that the app isn't accounting for the motor assist.

His heart rate was the same for more than 2x on the ebike than the normal bike.
I presume thats where the app calculates the higher calories.
I take the calory count of any app with a pinch of salt, its all a bit of a guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Magpies

Magpies

Thanks for your comments. Venod is correct - my heart rate was more than twice the resting rate for 22 minutes on the e-bike but for only 10 minutes on my road bike. I found that surprising, and guess that's where the calorie estimates vary. Agreed the calorie counts are a guess but the heart rate monitor should be quite accurate.

gzoom

Über Member
I presume your eBike is a hybrid/MTB?

I find the samething, unless the road is a 5%+ gradient am significantly quicker on my road bike than my hybrid eBike. To achieve the same speed on my eBike as I can do on my road bike requires much MORE effort.

The fact my 'cursing' speed on the flat is around 20mph on the road bike is the main reason. Trying to push 20mph on my eBike is really really hard work in comparison as the motor cuts out at 15mph.

Binka

Über Member
That’s interesting. I see the opposite when comparing my 25kg (non electric) recumbent trike to my light road bike. I average a faster speed and much higher heart rate with the road bike and burn significantly more calories for the same route. So even though I must be working more in one respect moving a heavier weight with the trike, I’m not working hard enough to get my heart rate up. On the trike my heart rate is split between cardio and fat burning zones, never goes in peak zone. On the road bike my heart rate is n peak zone for a fair amount, then some cardio, hardly any fat burning zone.

When I first got back into cycling and I was very much overweight with a knee issue, I bought an e-MTB and used it exclusively for about 4 months. It really does give a solid workout, no doubt. However, it very much depends upon the level of power-assist too - zero assist and you have a very heavy bike = greater effort required. With assist, you need less effort for any given ride than an unassisted bike; it's a fact.

When I got my 'normal' MTB I did do segment comparisons on Strava. I was generally faster on my normal bike because I could easily go above the 25km/h limiter and at that point, it was a much lighter bike. Only on very long steep sections did the e-MTB have the advantage by giving me free watts I couldn't maintain alone.

I haven't ridden the e-bike for around 8 months or so now. There is absolutely no contest in terms of which bike burns the most calories if assist is used on the e-bike but it is still a good workout if used to provide one and not simply as a gentle cruiser on turbo mode. I've 'outgrown' the e-bike in the sense that I am now a good weight, much stronger and fitter than before and find it is slower, less agile. I would thoroughly recommend them to anyone wanting to cycle and ease their way into it or who do not have the time or inclination to train as I do.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
my heart rate was more than twice the resting rate for 22 minutes on the e-bike but for only 10 minutes on my road bike.
Interesting topic, @Magpies
On a point of detail, not sure that ">twice HRrest" is the best descriptor for 'effort' which translates to others. Mine hits that at breakfast time after a coffee and is three times by the time I've carried my bike up the steps to the road.
An HR of over [HRrest plus 70% of HR range (difference between 'rest' and 'max')] might be better and easier for others to identify what effort level you're riding at. This is maybe 'Zone 3' depending on what the algorithm is.
Since my average speed was >25 km/h (at which point the e-bike motor cuts out)
Think the e-bike should be limited to 15mph which is 24kph (not 25) so your 25.5kph average speed (over a flat route) will mean that you were above the 'assistance point' rather more than (estimate) 60% of the time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Magpies

Magpies

On a point of detail, not sure that ">twice HRrest" is the best descriptor for 'effort' which translates to others.

Thanks. I agree, so went back and checked my Fitbit for heart rate zones. Similar findings - surprisingly the e-bike pushed me to a higher zone than my road bike for longer. I'd expected the reverse!

I find the samething, unless the road is a 5%+ gradient am significantly quicker on my road bike than my hybrid eBike.

However, it very much depends upon the level of power-assist too - zero assist and you have a very heavy bike = greater effort required. With assist, you need less effort for any given ride than an unassisted bike; it's a fact.

I think these three quotes confirm my suspicion. Since I'm averaging >25km/h, when there is no electric assistance, I'm having to push the e-bike harder because it is much heavier.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thanks. I agree, so went back and checked my Fitbit for heart rate zones. Similar findings - surprisingly the e-bike pushed me to a higher zone than my road bike for longer. I'd expected the reverse!

I think these three quotes confirm my suspicion. Since I'm averaging >25km/h, when there is no electric assistance, I'm having to push the e-bike harder because it is much heavier.
i think i read its about another 5 watts per kg weight difference

Top Bottom