Idiot in a car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
So my point is, are we all guilty of assuming all drivers that make this type of error are the Bad driver (AKA boogyman) and don’t also (maybe later at home) feel awful for their mistake. The chances are that each "bad driver" we meet has only done this once, just like TMCD35 and will never do it again...and in that respect are just like the rest of us.

I've (thankfully) never had this happen to me as driver or cyclist.

However from reading many accounts on here (of near misses as well as collisions) I don't think the folks on here do assume 'their' driver is THE bad driver. In many accounts the description of the accident is followed up by 'and then the driver got out of the car and apologised, and gave me his phone number' or whatever.

It is only the ones where the driver drives off, or leaps out and accuses the cyclist of dangerous/stupid driving or whatever where the driver becomes the boogyman.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Well that's reassuring. The not bad driver that hit me in 2008 put me out for three weeks, THEN the bad weather hit, and I started 2009 with lousy fitness and a huge amount of ground to make up (and with no opportunity to lay the "first commute" nerves to rest asap.) I'd have been less cross with them after my hand swelled up to twice normal size in the week after, and for the week that I hobbled around not even able to walk the dog because of the impact I'd taken on my hip if I'd borne that in mind.

John, I'm not saying the guy who hit you wasn't a bad driver (or a compete arse) and I am really sorry that you have had the awful experience that you have.

My point is that just assuming that all human error defines the perpetrator as a "bad" person, de-humanises them (they are people, just like you and me who make mistakes, just like you and me) and risks us generating a really poor opinion of the vastly, overwhelmingly, larger number of good drivers out there.

We complain that drivers think we are all lentil eating, tax dodging, red light jumping couriers, yet we quickly make the same assumptions about them...funny that, funny how we humans all tend to make the same mistakes.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've (thankfully) never had this happen to me as driver or cyclist.

However from reading many accounts on here (of near misses as well as collisions) I don't think the folks on here do assume 'their' driver is THE bad driver. In many accounts the description of the accident is followed up by 'and then the driver got out of the car and apologised, and gave me his phone number' or whatever.

It is only the ones where the driver drives off, or leaps out and accuses the cyclist of dangerous/stupid driving or whatever where the driver becomes the boogyman.

Fair point but one I have to disagree with. There are many referecens to "cadgers" "Motons" and the like, used to batch all error into one pot of distain.

Its not health is all I'm saying.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
My point is that just assuming that all human error defines the perpetrator as a "bad" person, de-humanises them (they are people, just like you and me who make mistakes, just like you and me) and risks us generating a really poor opinion of the vastly, overwhelmingly, larger number of good drivers out there.

I don't think of the driver involved in my preventable collision (it wasn't an "accident", however you slice it) was a bad person. They were, however, a bad driver. Misjudging someone's speed so poorly that you collide with them should be evident proof of that.

Politeness stops me commenting on the op's situation, but I'm far more wary of contributing to the prevailing attitude that RTAs are "just one of those things" than I am of tarring drivers with the same brush.

My own experience of motorists is that a few are dangerously poor/malicious, a majority are indifferent (not dangerous unless you're unlucky - e.g. timing their arrival and yours at a pinch point & you not cutting off their overtake) and a few are good (in the sense of being skilful and attentive - Mornflake's LGV drivers (their depot is near me) are in that last category - excellent drivers). Things may be different elsewhere.

Camgreen

I'd like to thank Camgreen for the post I've been expecting for most of the day, and you are absolutely right. We have a quite a number of threads here from the cyclists point of view, naturally, I posted here because I thought it'd be sobering reading a drivers perspective of what I hope clearly was an accident and should never have happened.

For my part I'm not after sympathy, I supposeI was a little shaken up this morning and needed to talk it out a bit. So thank you everyone whose contributed to this thread.

In terms of keeping eye contact with the driver - thinking back over events, I wonder if I'd have seen him if he was wearing a clown suite and juggling. If I'm honest I'm afraid the answer is probably no.

I too was shocked at the suggestion the bike might be stolen, and hopefully I put that down quick enough.

I wouldn't mind hearing the other guys take on events, how ever difficult, now that hopefully he's had time to calm down and reflect on the incident.

I still have heard nothing from him though.

And thank you tm for your well balanced response; I had the feeling in the back of my mind there was a danger my comments might've been misinterpretated in some quarters.
thumbsup.png
Hope you and the unfortunate cyclist are none the worse for your experiences. There for the grace ... etc etc, a salutary reminder to us all, no matter how good we think our observational skills are, we can always lapse for a second .... all it takes really.

OP
OP
T

tmcd35

Brave of you to make this post.

May I ask if you have thought about why you failed to see the cyclist and how you could avoid such a thing happening again? The reason I ask is because it is indeed an event that I fear when driving and your opinion could be useful both to cyclists and other drivers.

I think I do need to take this up, and I hope no one takes my response in the wrong way - From here on out, I'm not trying to apportion any blame on the cyclist, I already admit full responsibility - I was in the wrong!

Firstly I'll say I have been thinking of nothing all day. If you think 'big bad motorist knocks me off my bike then pisses off and calmly gets on with his life" you are wrong. This incident is having nothing but a negative impact on my life. Now whether or not the impact on my life is a bad as the impact on the unfortunate cyclist life or not I will probably never know. But please note it really is eating a way at me to think I might have seriously hurt him in any way - be it physical, financial, emotional or whatever.

What could I have done differently? Really not a great deal. If I had looked around once more he would have been past me and the accident would never have happened. But how much do you differ at junctions before moving off? At what point are you being over cautious? I don't know.

The only thing that would have made a real difference is if the cyclist had been riding his bike properly. Again please don't read that sentence the wrong way. He was doing what 99.9% of cyclists, including my self, do. He was riding in the gutter. I never truly appreciated the advice until know but if it saves even one life through someone reading this then some good has come of the situation.

The answer to this question is, as a cyclist, to hold your lane position. Cycle in the center of your lane. Cycle in the one place where no motorist can possibly fail to see, right where they are going to be looking for other viachles. If some driver is shouting at you to get out the way it means he as seen you and will not run you down. Someone pulling out from a junction, as I was this morning, will be looking straight at you and would have no excuse.

Also, If he'd been nearer the center of the lane I wouldn't have it him. My car would have had the extra stopping distance needed. A near miss, we both would have been shock up, but no damage would have happened.

As for this morning. All I can now say is it must have been fated to happen. What if's? What if I'd de-iced my car for longer rather than using the scraper? What if I'd ironed my clothed the night before and left of earlier at my usual time? What if?

OP
OP
T

tmcd35

I don't think of the driver involved in my preventable collision (it wasn't an "accident", however you slice it) was a bad person. They were, however, a bad driver. Misjudging someone's speed so poorly that you collide with them should be evident proof of that.

I don't know the specifics of your situation. From what you have said it was obviously very different my my own. Believe me I would rather stop driving all together than put another human being in any king of pain or agony. I made a mistake this morning for which I am truly sorry. I am posting here in an attempt to show how easily accidents can and do happen.

Politeness stops me commenting on the op's situation, but I'm far more wary of contributing to the prevailing attitude that RTAs are "just one of those things" than I am of tarring drivers with the same brush.

With respect, don't let politeness stop you. If you have something to say I'd sooner hear it, negative or other whys.

Davidc

Guru
Unfortunate but you did what was right, both morally and legally, and after the event there's not much more you can do.

We're all susceptible to doing what you did and only seeing what we're looking out for. Anyone who's been at a demonstration of the "Gorilla In The Room" video will understand how. I was at one years ago and was one of those who didn't see it (the gorilla that is) while counting the ball passes.

The good thing is that the cyclist is alive and well, just in need of a new bike.

Iain p

Accidents happen, the cyclist wasn't seriously hurt. Don't beat yourself up to much. Learn from your mistake and move on.

sheddy

Legendary Member
1. Move your head about at junctions and roundabouts so as to see past your A Post
2. Scan the tarmac and don't just look where you think the hazard will come from

campbellab

I did pretty much the same the other night, rolling up to junction, first look nothing, second look just noticed flashing light, a delay in reaction and stopped my car dead on the edge of the giveway line. Been checking more when coming out at junctions more for the past week or so hopefully it will last.

The only thing that would have made a real difference is if the cyclist had been riding his bike properly. Again please don't read that sentence the wrong way. He was doing what 99.9% of cyclists, including my self, do. He was riding in the gutter. I never truly appreciated the advice until know but if it saves even one life through someone reading this then some good has come of the situation.

How do you know he was riding in the gutter if you didn't see him? The wonder of cyclists is that they do sometimes appear from anywhere. Not saying that he did anything untowards in this case but it's crap mulling it over when you don't have all the facts.

Tonight I saw someone go across here, north bound traffic had gone red (with a lorry steaming through well after), but traffic from Longwater Ave was green. He looked a bit worried when he saw headlights coming towards him! :hello:

crazycross.png

asterix

Comrade Member
I think I do need to take this up, and I hope no one takes my response in the wrong way - From here on out, I'm not trying to apportion any blame on the cyclist, I already admit full responsibility - I was in the wrong!

Firstly I'll say I have been thinking of nothing all day. If you think 'big bad motorist knocks me off my bike then pisses off and calmly gets on with his life" you are wrong. This incident is having nothing but a negative impact on my life. Now whether or not the impact on my life is a bad as the impact on the unfortunate cyclist life or not I will probably never know. But please note it really is eating a way at me to think I might have seriously hurt him in any way - be it physical, financial, emotional or whatever.

What could I have done differently? Really not a great deal. If I had looked around once more he would have been past me and the accident would never have happened. But how much do you differ at junctions before moving off? At what point are you being over cautious? I don't know.

The answer to this question is, as a cyclist, to hold your lane position. Cycle in the center of your lane. Cycle in the one place where no motorist can possibly fail to see, right where they are going to be looking for other viachles. If some driver is shouting at you to get out the way it means he as seen you and will not run you down. Someone pulling out from a junction, as I was this morning, will be looking straight at you and would have no excuse.

Also, If he'd been nearer the center of the lane I wouldn't have it him. My car would have had the extra stopping distance needed. A near miss, we both would have been shock up, but no damage would have happened.

As for this morning. All I can now say is it must have been fated to happen. What if's? What if I'd de-iced my car for longer rather than using the scraper? What if I'd ironed my clothed the night before and left of earlier at my usual time? What if?

Thank you for your thoughts on this. Your point regarding cyclists who cycle too near the kerb is a good one, they are much harder to spot IME. If only all drivers had your attitude to others.

OP
OP
T

tmcd35

How do you know he was riding in the gutter if you didn't see him?

Simple answer, were he was when I did see him. I'm not trying to partition blame, I've been riding my bike the same way and so as everyone else I passed today. As I said above, If he was in the center of the lane I'd have stopped before I hit him. I know this because he'd been under my car today if I could have hit him in the center of the road. We not talking about any real speed or distance here. Because of were he was I had no stopping distance, again that in no way excuses my actions.

But to answer the last question, what can be done to make it safer for cyclists? Answer, rightly or wrongly, is to bike in the center of the lane. I certainly will be from now on!

sheddy

Legendary Member
When I'm on the bike approaching a side turning and failing to make eye contact with the driver, I try to do a little weaving to make myself obvious

400bhp

Guru
this morning I was coming out of my turning a

There's your answer.

Most accidents occur within the first few minutes of driving IIRC.

You're simply not alert to driving.

My neighbour tried to mow me down on 2 separate occasions within 50yds of his house at 7am.

Top Bottom