Idiot London cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Well, now there is a question, having recently read I should only be using one brake the back one not the front one (who knew! Not me
non-yeux-fermes-2843.gif
) and that once you are allowed to raise your saddle up so your feet are not flat on the floor cos you has learneded not to do the wobbling (Yay! go me!
smiley-says-yes-emoticon.gif
) and if you progress to the no handeded cycling woohoo check me out type thing (Not me, not yet
smiley-shaking-head-no.gif
) then why can you not cycle with one hand - the back brake hand on the handlebars and a coffee in the other, I think everyone should, just to show off their hard earned cool cycling skills!
I'm left-handed. I'll just take my chances holding the coffee in the left and braking with the right.

rb58

Enigma
Surely a Boris Bike comes under the same category as a BSO
No way. They're brilliant. I'd buy one as an indestructible hack bike if I could.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Sorry @Puddles stressful-to-me bikability teacher says use both brakes, back first, feathering with front.
Unless you're turning right downhill ... or left :wacko:
Actually bikability book author says try not to use the brakes on a bike because they are rubbish, change gear or stop pedaling instead ... unless ... you ride single speed or fixed??? :surrender:

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
Sorry @Puddles stressful-to-me bikability teacher says use both brakes, back first, feathering with front.
Actually bikability book author says try not to use the brakes on a bike because they are rubbish, change gear or stop pedaling instead ... unless ... you ride single speed or fixed??? :surrender:

If you go as slow as I do braking is not really an issue as in which brake to use, it is more a case of is it worth the effort of initiating any form of braking when you can simply get off and go from there.

Pat "5mph"

If you go as slow as I do braking is not really an issue as in which brake to use, it is more a case of is it worth the effort of initiating any form of braking when you can simply get off and go from there.
:rofl: I'm not much faster than you :rofl:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
And don't forget doing an emergency stop. If stopping correctly, the back brake is useless ;)

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
And don't forget doing an emergency stop. If stopping correctly, the back brake is useless ;)

Again I refer you to my previous post

Emergency stopping means swinging the leg through and off a bit quicker... rather than the sort of elegant (in my mind it is elegant and graceful :laugh:) almost side saddle gliding as I gently hop off and trot along to a calm stop.

Oh and having read the thing I read the other night 1/2 asleep I got it the wrong way round, (What a shock!) it is the front brake not the back brake I should be using more, in case I cause fishtailing using them both together. I think unless I misunderstood again which is a possibility as sewing a fuffilump and reading technical cycling type things is not a good combination,

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

Fuffilump? Sounds too dangerous to Google :eek:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Again I refer you to my previous post

Emergency stopping means swinging the leg through and off a bit quicker... rather than the sort of elegant (in my mind it is elegant and graceful :laugh:) almost side saddle gliding as I gently hop off and trot along to a calm stop.

Oh and having read the thing I read the other night 1/2 asleep I got it the wrong way round, (What a shock!) it is the front brake not the back brake I should be using more, in case I cause fishtailing using them both together. I think unless I misunderstood again which is a possibility as sewing a fuffilump and reading technical cycling type things is not a good combination,
I wasn't referring to your post, so don't worry about it ;)

Top Bottom