Idiotic suggestion by motorist colleague

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a colleague at work who suffers from the selective purblindness that affects many motorists. All cyclists are anarchic, lawless gutter scum, no motorist ever does anything wrong, that sort of thing.

The other day she came in huffing and puffing, and said "Those cyclists, they were RACING each other down the road this morning, they were overtaking each other and EVERYTHING. They should make all cyclists have a registration number on their bike so that you can report them to the police."

I considered laughing in her face, but when I realised she was serious, I just said "Yes, because that works so well with all the other road users, doesn't it?"

It took her a while to get the point.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
10/10, 20"!!:smile:

MERV

Must admit I hardly bother anymore but when they were all taking the piss the other week of my cycling attire I just walked out (depot manager as well)

I was so cheesed off anyway.

Animal

God i love my job!

The boss and company founder rides a bike in whenever he can. He's not a cyclist, but his heart is solidly in the right place. One of the other bosses has a foldie - he's a bit more of a poseur though.

They installed a shower when I joined. I know they wouldn't put up with "attitude" on the issue!

MERV

A shower at work?

hahahaha!

Just got a place to put our bikes after many years of battling when they would have their purges...Cant lock them down the bottom of the stairwell.Was fair enough I guess as some cyclists parked their bikes willy nilly and ruined it for everyone else.

Apparently our bikes were a fire hazard as well.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Off-topic, but at my old company, my folded Brompton was classified as a health and safety hazard by the departmental administrator and head of customer services. I just moved it to another part of the office. Funny how they didn't consider us having to stand on swivel chairs to trail cables across the ceiling as a safety hazard. I bought a step-ladder out of my own money so we didn't have to do that. It was just easier than trying to get it through accounts.

phaedrus

Animal said:
God i love my job!

The boss and company founder rides a bike in whenever he can. He's not a cyclist, but his heart is solidly in the right place.

Rides a bike, but he's not a cyclist?? How does that work then?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
jimscullion said:
Rides a bike, but he's not a cyclist?? How does that work then?

Maybe he has one of these

treadmill_bike.jpg

Animal

OK, he's not a "cyclist" then.

Animal

OK, I'll ask him today if he considers himself a "cyclist", or just someone who comes to work on a bike.

There can be a difference. I don't think he'll ever go on a cycling forum, read a cycling mag, do a race or a sportive, or think about bike advocacy.

He's just trying to do the right thing by the environment. Like people should. You shouldn't have to be a "cyclist" to use sustainable transport in your everyday life.

That's half our problem nowadays with trying to promote sustainable transport - people think they have to turn into "cyclists". They don't, they just have to try to use sustainable transport.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't cycle for the environment, I cycle because I love it, it's great exercise, and it works better than the alternatives. The environmental thing is a nice by-product, but it's not a part of my decision to ride.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Exactly - I ride cos it's the quickest way to get places, and it's fun. If it's quicker and easier to drive, I'll drive. Does that mean I'm not a cyclist? Stupid semantics, and also some snobbery thrown in........

He is a cyclist. He cycles. If you drive a car you are a driver. I would suggest he is not a bike enthusiast, just like a driver who just drives a car from A to B is not a car enthusiast.

Top Bottom