Idiots' Guide to Road Disc Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I didn't read that properly first time and thought you'd built that for 300 notes. I fair spluttered until I read it again.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I didn't read that properly first time and thought you'd built that for 300 notes. I fair spluttered until I read it again.
Well I sort of feel as if if I did. The whole thing started because a couple of people gave me cash for Xmas which just happened to be exactly enough for the discounted frame and fork. I got some more cash for my birthday in March, a friend gave me the chainset, and another friend sent me a cheque just because she thought I needed cheering up.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Splendid bike, TC! Will it be making an appearance on a not-the-FNR event any time soon?

And I can especially commend the "why don't my brakes work, aaarghhh!!!" experience when you go back to a bike with caliper brakes. Well.... not really... :ohmy:

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Splendid bike, TC! Will it be making an appearance on a not-the-FNR event any time soon?

And I can especially commend the "why don't my brakes work, aaarghhh!!!" experience when you go back to a bike with caliper brakes. Well.... not really... :ohmy:
I have half an eye on Young Andy's Beer and Bridges ride...

Well I put a 180 on the front, and thought I might as well stick the 160 on the back to balance it out a bit. The 140 was an extra thrown in by the nice man at Freeborn Cycles, so I now have a spare 160/140 set in case I decide to build another disc road bike (!). So I now have a bicycle that I don't think is going to kill me suddenly by destroying my spokes on a descent. Which is nice. I'm pleased with it, and all being well will take it on the Fridays Tour de Normandie. This, in case anyone is interested, is what it cost and where it came from...

PX Kaffenback Frame & Fork 160.00
PX Midge Bars 24.50
PX Superlight Seatpost 15.00
PX Headset Spacers 4.00
Shimano RX05 Disc Wheels (Merlin) 120.00
Schwalbe Durano 28mm x 2 (Merlin) 46.00
Schwalbe Tubes x 2 (Merlin) 8.50
Seat Clamp (Quella) 5.00
TRP Spyre Road Disc Brakes x 2 (Freeborn Bikes) 93.50
Centre Lock Adapters x 2 (Freeborn) 22.00
Sora 9 Speed STI Shifters (St John St Cycles) 55.50
Shimano A530 Pedals (Ribble) 29.00
FSA Mega Exo Compact Chainset & BB (gift) 90.00
FSA Omega Stem 80mm 27.00
FSA Orbit Headset (CRC) 25.00
Sora Rear Mech (CRC) 16.00
Ritchey Barrel Adjusters (CRC) 5.50
Kore Brake Cable Kit (CRC) 11.00
Clarks 180mm Disc Rotor (CRC) 5.50
SRAM Cassette and Chain (CRC) 23.00
Cable Guide (CRC) 2.00
Sora Front Mech (Wiggle) 11.00
Alloy Bottle Cage (Wilko!) 3.00
Gear Inners x 2 (Wilko) 2.50
Bike Ribbon Bar Tape 6.00
Caps, Ferrules etc 2.00
Bontrager Disc Rack (Evans) 25.00
TOTAL: £835.50
Gifts: £500
Stuff from spares box: £33
Immediate cost to me: £302.50. Which I think is a bargain.

View attachment 89077

Very nice!

What size frame is that, as it looks like you're going for the streamlined effect, being so low at the front.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Very nice!

What size frame is that, as it looks like you're going for the streamlined effect, being so low at the front.
It's a small! I would have probably gone for the medium if unadvised, but I asked Ade about his Kaffenback because I figured I would need a similar size. It was the right choice, as it tends to be reach that is the limiting factor on frame size for me. I got legs but I Ain't Got No Body. I don't mind having a bit of seatpost on show. And I decided to use a fair few spacers and set the bars quite high, as a contrast to my road bike and because it seems to suit the weirdy Midge bars, which were, in a roundabout sort of way, the starting point for the whole bike.

It's a small! It was the right choice, as it tends to be reach that is the limiting factor on frame size for me. I got legs but I Ain't Got No Body. I don't mind having a bit of seatpost on show. And I decided to use a fair few spacers and set the bars quite high, as a contrast to my road bike and because it seems to suit the weirdy Midge bars.
That is pretty much what I told him last night but I don't think he believed me. :whistle:
And... Midge bars for the win. :okay:

Top Bottom