Idiots in a Group

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

gavgav

Guru
I think we can take it then it is a grade 1 :>)
No no there it still some hair sticking up, but it's thinning fast at the front :laugh:

amaferanga

Veteran
T.M.H.N.E.T I am a cyclist and have experienced numerous close passes, etc, and so am perfectly aware of the levels of bad driving out there towards cyclists. However it is events like this that will only annoy non cycling car drivers even more and make them more likely to cut us up. Please kindly remove the part of your post that describes me as having said the above, as that isn't the case.

What sort of normal person would see someone cycling badly and then decide that they'll therefore go and cut some other cyclists up? I see things every day that I don't like, but I don't then decide to go out and intentionally endanger someone's life. If what you're saying really does happen then it's not the cyclists we need to worry about, but the mentality of these people that see a bad cyclist and think that's justification for endangering other cyclists.

While the cycling behaviour you describe is poor, I don't agree with what you're saying here at all.

OP
OP
G

gavgav

Guru
What sort of normal person would see someone cycling badly and then decide that they'll therefore go and cut some other cyclists up? I see things every day that I don't like, but I don't then decide to go out and intentionally endanger someone's life. If what you're saying really does happen then it's not the cyclists we need to worry about, but the mentality of these people that see a bad cyclist and think that's justification for endangering other cyclists.

While the cycling behaviour you describe is poor, I don't agree with what you're saying here at all.
I'm sure you wouldn't and there are many people who wouldn't, but I can assure you there are un-normal drivers out there with the mentality that if a cyclist has caused them issues then they won't bother giving us the room that we should get.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I run into the same sort of problem with a local cycle shop group. Very poor manners, indeed. Not completely general among the group, but very prevalent "attitude". People should be made to understand that manners and good conduct apply to all aspects of life. Get to know your neighbors and fellow cyclists, and maybe they will be embarrassed at such behavior in the future.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm sure you wouldn't and there are many people who wouldn't, but I can assure you there are un-normal drivers out there with the mentality that if a cyclist has caused them issues then they won't bother giving us the room that we should get.
If they are really an un-normal driver, as you put it, then they won't need any sort of justification, in the form of a cyclist or cyclists making them feel aggrieved at some point in the past, to make them drive like a twunt. They'll just drive like a twunt regardless. Because they are a twunt. And that's how twunts drive.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I come across this behaviour every time I go out for a ride at the weekend in North London and Hertfordshire. I also see some great, disciplined riding in large groups. Unfortunately it's the few idiots that give everyone else a bad name.
No. It's the few idiots that give themselves a bad name. The rest of us are not guilty by association with twunts, regardless of their mode of travel, just because we are from the same species.

Last edited:

Hip Priest

Veteran
No. It's the few idiots that give themselves a bad name. The rest of us are not guilty by association with twunts, regardless of their mode of travel, just becuase we are from the same species.

Well said.

If some nobbers ride their bicycles badly it's nothing to do with me.

OP
OP
G

gavgav

Guru
Well said.

If some nobbers ride their bicycles badly it's nothing to do with me.
Has any one said it was? The thread wasn't having a go at generic groups of cyclists, it was having a go at that particular group! Seems to have hit a nerve with a few though!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yes, had the same experience while talking to non cycling drivers (btw, these people are normally very nice folks)
Example (by a work colleague):
"quote" Cyclists should be in the cycling lanes where one exists, or don't complain if I pass them closely, they make me nervous. "unquote"
Heck, I even heard non driving pedestrians saying about red light jumping cyclists "quote" they deserve to be in a crash "unquote"

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
red light jumping cyclists do deserve to be in a crash.

Preferably one they walk away from carrying a busted bike.

Reactions: 4F

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Top Bottom