Idle thoughts about first tour after lockdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobinS

Veteran
Our plans for this summer were something along the lines of Velodysee, followed by either Raid Pyrenees, or heading down through western Spain to Portugal. While we still have some hope for this late summer/autumn, we are also thinking about other, possibly more likely options, assuming restrictions are eased during the summer (though maybe not international travel restrictions). Thinking in the UK of maybe east to west crossing, Ness Point (Lowestoft) to Ardnamurchan Point (Scotland), or even North - West - South - East, Dunnet Head, Ardnamurchan Point, Lizard, Ness Point. Anyone ever done these - any good routes or suggestions?
(Not interested in LEJOG - South-Westerly point to somewhere that is quite close to most Northerly but not quite there is a bit rubbish in geographical terms!)

Bonus

Veteran
If at some point you ever do come down through the Pyrenees, give me a shout. We live here and it's always nice to meet up with fellow cyclists passing through and help out if we can.

:-)

Lowestoft-Ardnamurchan sounds a very nice route. A friend used the Audax route, and it seems to neatly snake past all the conurbations, through nice countryside that gets steadily more dramatic as you get further North.

You've made me seriously consider it for Autumn, if we can't easily get into/across Europe ...

Can't speak for the route but I've found RWGPS a handy tool to search for routes in far off places. Best done on a PC, sometimes you'll get photos and a review! A subscription is not needed.

jay clock

Massive member
Our plans for this summer were something along the lines of Velodysee, followed by either Raid Pyrenees, or heading down through western Spain to Portugal. While we still have some hope for this late summer/autumn, we are also thinking about other, possibly more likely options, assuming restrictions are eased during the summer (though maybe not international travel restrictions). Thinking in the UK of maybe east to west crossing, Ness Point (Lowestoft) to Ardnamurchan Point (Scotland), or even North - West - South - East, Dunnet Head, Ardnamurchan Point, Lizard, Ness Point. Anyone ever done these - any good routes or suggestions?
(Not interested in LEJOG - South-Westerly point to somewhere that is quite close to most Northerly but not quite there is a bit rubbish in geographical terms!)
If you do revert to the Velodysee/Spain route I did 80% of that on this trip - filll your boots https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=2sf&doc_id=11271&v=QR

Glow worm

Legendary Member
UK to the Med is niggling away at the back of my mind. Hook, then Rhine, through Switzerland and then Italy- maybe end at Rimini- or La Spezia on the other coast.

I've just plotted a route from Alexandria to Cape town on Google Earth during a dull 1.5 hr work call- even down to working out how to cross a bridge-less river in Ethiopa. Anyway, after all that, i found there's no ferries to Egypt any more! :sad:

But- apparently there's a Genoa to Tunis ferry (once a week) - what I do from Tunis will have to wait for the next call!

dnrc

Veteran
I've already booked mine. flying to cologne in a couple of weeks for a couple of weeks.

Will go south a bit to koblenz and maybe trier, swing by the nurburgring to camp on hohe acht then into the eifel national park and then ???? - whatever i feel like until i rock up at the hook to come home

if anyone has any good suggestions as to what to do after what i put above i'd be glad to hear them. Have done EV15 before so away from the rhine - maybe head into belgium and up through south holland??

Dwn

Feeling very envious reading this stuff. Finally got wife into cycling, so hoping to do London to Paris next spring.

We had a trip to Spain arranged for September and have been musing on whether to go, but have decided to stick to the UK for this year. Might do a big loop route from home (Hampshire) to our daughters in Pembrokeshire and get the train back.

I've already booked mine. flying to cologne in a couple of weeks for a couple of weeks.

Will go south a bit to koblenz and maybe trier, swing by the nurburgring to camp on hohe acht then into the eifel national park and then ???? - whatever i feel like until i rock up at the hook to come home

if anyone has any good suggestions as to what to do after what i put above i'd be glad to hear them. Have done EV15 before so away from the rhine - maybe head into belgium and up through south holland??
I hate to be negative but are you aware that part of North Rhine Westphalia is under lockdown again, affecting 350,000 people?

I think anyone thinking of an international trip has to consider a lot of things such as;
What to do if in a region that gets locked down?
How to stay abreast of up to date info (in a foreign language)
Flexibility in return date
Less services in terms of quantity and capacity.
Travel and health insurance validity.

I'd suggest anyone considering an international trip should make contact with your embassy/consulate in advance for advice (and to have an existing contact if things go pear shaped).

I'd imagine that one of the "safest" options would be to use a cycling holiday company. More expensive, yes, but they'll have obligations to you in the event of things going wrong.

Good luck!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
We had a trip to Spain arranged for September and have been musing on whether to go, but have decided to stick to the UK for this year. Might do a big loop route from home (Hampshire) to our daughters in Pembrokeshire and get the train back.

I'm planning a few days similar (from South Coast Devon) take the smaller routes up country, then across via Chepstow, meander on through the Brecon Beacons and Presilli Hills to stay on a friends farm near St Davids.. Then either train it back, or cycle home depending on time allowed.

I've worked out a few friends garden to camp in before getting to the bits in Wales where wildcamping would be more possible.

It's nice to have something to plan for and look forward to, even if it's not so far off the beaten track. :smile:

I’ll be riding from Milton Keynes to Weymouth,

something like Along the grand union as far as ivinghoe, pick up the ridgeway and then meet the Wessex ridgeway for a bit then turn south to Weymouth, if I get the fortuneOf good weather, then it should be great, bad weather, it should be great (but slower) 😂

some loose planning required

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I’ll be riding from Milton Keynes to Weymouth,

something like Along the grand union as far as ivinghoe, pick up the ridgeway and then meet the Wessex ridgeway for a bit then turn south to Weymouth, if I get the fortuneOf good weather, then it should be great, bad weather, it should be great (but slower) 😂

some loose planning required

Sounds like a plan :rolleyes:
Loose planning is best imo.

Always leave plenty room for changes of mind and interesting diversions :smile:

Top Bottom