Idle thoughts about first tour after lockdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
I'm thinking a trip from the back door would be best. Out to Loch Katrine and Lomond. Across on the little ferry if it's running. Then a big cycle around the Cowel peninsula and maybe Some the Kintyre.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm thinking a trip from the back door would be best. Out to Loch Katrine and Lomond. Across on the little ferry if it's running. Then a big cycle around the Cowel peninsula and maybe Some the Kintyre.

Oooh bit jealous :rolleyes: but now you're giving me ideas for an Autumn tour, I've not been to Kintyre, for a loooong time :okay:

Sounds like a plan :rolleyes:
Loose planning is best imo.

Always leave plenty room for changes of mind and interesting diversions :smile:

That's the idea, no point being in a rush, I tend to chat to anyone given the chance. its amazing how many people will stop for a chat and offer help/water etc while I'm making breakfast/lunch etc.

I think its just that cycling with sleeping/cooking kit is so far away from most peoples everyday that it spikes interest on where/how far/are you sure I cant give you a lift ^_^

hopefully on my way last week in July so no one is allowed a rain dance during that period.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
That's the idea, no point being in a rush, I tend to chat to anyone given the chance. its amazing how many people will stop for a chat and offer help/water etc while I'm making breakfast/lunch etc.

I think its just that cycling with sleeping/cooking kit is so far away from most peoples everyday that it spikes interest on where/how far/are you sure I cant give you a lift ^_^

hopefully on my way last week in July so no one is allowed a rain dance during that period.

Yes same here with 'curious' folks.

And then i'll often get their life story, complete with some unguarded revelations, cos they know they'll never see me again. :rolleyes:

So I'll be going either last week ish, of July or first ish of August.
Depending on various things and stuff :rolleyes:

TBH, I'll be so glad to be on the road I won't care do much about the weather.

And rain in July / Aug isn't really cold rain is it? :okay:

Yes same here with 'curious' folks.

And then i'll often get their life story, complete with some unguarded revelations, cos they know they'll never see me again. :rolleyes:

So I'll be going either last week ish, of July or first ish of August.
Depending on various things and stuff :rolleyes:

TBH, I'll be so glad to be on the road I won't care do much about the weather.

And rain in July / Aug isn't really cold rain is it? :okay:

there was one fella who offered me some water then gave me a tour of his double garage, complete with lathe and a steam engine that he’d made every part for. People can be so friendly and helpful, contrary to popular belief

as for rain, I’d play for hours in it when I was a kid so see no reason why cycling in should be any different Especially as it’s tropical rain anywhere south of Milton Keynes:laugh:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
there was one fella who offered me some water then gave me a tour of his double garage, complete with lathe and a steam engine that he’d made every part for. People can be so friendly and helpful, contrary to popular belief

as for rain, I’d play for hours in it when I was a kid so see no reason why cycling in should be any different Especially as it’s tropical rain anywhere south of Milton Keynes:laugh:

:smile: And we have this 'magical' waterproof skin..

Last year.. I even got an impromptu bed for the night, when I was too late to cycle to my intended campsite, then in the morning a mini local tour by van, to visit a small flock of prize sheep, and the best fruiting fig tree in the area.

Mind you that was Spain.

But given half a chance people can be equally helpful hospitable and generous in the UK too, I've rarely had a mean welcome, or nasty word off of anyone..

I think on the whole, you get back, what you give out..

:smile: And we have this 'magical' waterproof skin..

Last year.. I even got an impromptu bed for the night, when I was too late to cycle to my intended campsite, then in the morning a mini local tour by van, to visit a small flock of prize sheep, and the best fruiting fig tree in the area.

Mind you that was Spain.

But given half a chance people can be equally helpful hospitable and generous in the UK too, I've rarely had a mean welcome, or nasty word off of anyone..

I think on the whole, you get back, what you give out..
If only more people saw it that way

good luck for your trip, I’ll look forward to reading about it

very true - the wonder's of encounters by bicycle.
I doubt he'd have been so welcoming/open to your joint casing if you'd come across him in a van.

dnrc

Veteran
I hate to be negative but are you aware that part of North Rhine Westphalia is under lockdown again, affecting 350,000 people?

I think anyone thinking of an international trip has to consider a lot of things such as;
What to do if in a region that gets locked down?
How to stay abreast of up to date info (in a foreign language)
Flexibility in return date
Less services in terms of quantity and capacity.
Travel and health insurance validity.

I'd suggest anyone considering an international trip should make contact with your embassy/consulate in advance for advice (and to have an existing contact if things go pear shaped).

I'd imagine that one of the "safest" options would be to use a cycling holiday company. More expensive, yes, but they'll have obligations to you in the event of things going wrong.

Good luck!

I think you may be being a bit too negative to be honest

I do know that parts are under lockdown but it's 2 regions nowhere near where i am going

I booked assuming our government would revise the travel rules (as they just have) and am prepared to cancel everything if need be

It has been decided by European governments and ours that it's safe to go on holiday in Europe so why shouldn't we?

You can sign up on the UK gov website for email travel updates for countries you are travelling to

I think you may be being a bit too negative to be honest

I do know that parts are under lockdown but it's 2 regions nowhere near where i am going

I booked assuming our government would revise the travel rules (as they just have) and am prepared to cancel everything if need be

It has been decided by European governments and ours that it's safe to go on holiday in Europe so why shouldn't we?

You can sign up on the UK gov website for email travel updates for countries you are travelling to
I'm simply trying to raise some flags, point out some issues that you (or someone thinking "If he can do it, I can do it too") may not have thought of.
I have some direct experience, currently unable to travel onwards far from "home".

While Governments may say it's safe to travel, will they have considered the realities of bike travel or will they be thinking mainly of more mass tourism - package holidays, city trips and campervans etc?

While the lockdown region may not be on your intinerary, if the area you're in becomes locked down, at best you can continue with little to no services, at worst you have x hours to get out of there - on a bike - a bike you may not be able to bring on public transport.

From a financial point of view, cancelling is tricky. Not all service providers are the same and policy terms vary across companies. If you can afford to write off the upfront costs of a cancelled holiday, good for you - but not everyone can.

The chances are that your trip will be fine, all I'm suggesting is a bit of homework in advance so that if turds start flying into fans you'll know all you need to know.

Good luck

SafetyThird

Hoping to do the Devon coast to coast (Ilfracombe to Plymouth) in a few weeks. Likely take 2 or 3 days over it, first proper tour and a new bike to try it on. Now that camping will be allowed, it's a feasible option.

Top Bottom