If all the cells in a human are replaced over a 7 year period then howcome....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And how come idiot drivers remain idiot drivers?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
...tattoos are permanent? It makes no sense.

The tattoo remains permanent because, done correctly, the tattoo artist is going to introduce pigment particles underneath the epidermis into the skin strata between the epidermal and dermal layers. The dermal layer contains numerous blood vessels, nerves, hair follicles and lymphatic vessels. The tattoo pigments lay trapped in the dermis. Trapped? Yes, trapped. Tattoo pigments are foreign objects. If it could your body would eject those pigment particles in a heartbeat. In fact, within moments of a tattoo needle penetrating your skin your body is readying its defenses. A tattoo is a wound and the presence of foreign material immediately rallies your lymphocytes – or killer cells - to the scene of the injury. The lymphocytes will remove any pigment particle that is small enough, but your body has to adopt a different strategy for any pigment boulders that the lymphocyte bulldozers can’t move. When faced with particles too big to remove, macrophages (literally Greek for “big eaters”), which are another form of white blood cells, will encircle the particle and devour it. If the pigment particle is inorganic and non-toxic, the macrophage will begin a process that will result in the formation of scar tissue around the particle, walling it off and anchoring it in place. And there it will remain, indelible and permanent. However, if your body’s defenses determine that the particle is organic or toxic it will result in either an infection or an attempt to reject the particle from your body to prevent further damage.

Last edited:

ASC1951

Guru
If that also includes brain cells, then how come pro-helmet people don't change their ... point of view........
First, this "seven year replacement" is one of those bits of lazy journalism that has been around for so long that everyone assumes it's true - it isn't. Different bits are replaced at different rates and some bits are never replaced. Second, neurons in the cerebral cortex appear not to be replaced, although many other types of brain cell are added during our lifetimes. And third it's not clear whether ideas reside in the structure at all.

sackville d

Veteran
. And third it's not clear whether ideas reside in the structure at all.

View: http://youtu.be/qrdpliMfoAM

Ship of Theseus innit, Trigger's broom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

"The ship wherein Theseus and the youth of Athens returned from Crete had thirty oars, and was preserved by the Athenians down even to the time ofDemetrius Phalereus, for they took away the old planks as they decayed, putting in new and stronger timber in their place, in so much that this ship became a standing example among the philosophers, for the logical question of things that grow; one side holding that the ship remained the same, and the other contending that it was not the same."

—Plutarch, Theseus[2]
Plutarch thus questions whether the ship would remain the same if it were entirely replaced, piece by piece. Centuries later, the philosopher Thomas Hobbes introduced a further puzzle, wondering: what would happen if the original planks were gathered up after they were replaced, and used to build a second ship.

[3] Which ship, if either, is the original Ship of Theseus?

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
[QUOTE 2844380, member: 1314"]Apart from The Pogues.[/quote]
Whilst I would far sooner listen to The Pogues than a great deal of other bands (especially live as I'd be willing to bet it's so,ething you wouldn't forget) I cannot agree that they are the best band ever.

I understand that a lot of people may think this to be subjective but it isn't and The Pixies are in fact the best band ever and this has in fact and actually, literally been proven in properly scientific tests which I do not care to mention or refer to but which actually exist and have been verified and peer reviewed and lots of other words like that which mean it's true. The Pogues are a fine band and no doubt important but I'm afraid that wherever you got the data from that told you that they were the best was, I'm afraid, wrong.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this news and I'm sure it won't diminish your enjoyment of the cheeky Irish songsters.^_^

Top Bottom