If I was Cadel Evans tonight....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
Cathryn said:
Evans is too strange looking for me!! I do feel for him though (that British Underdog thing).

He is very strange looking isn't he, and clearly not very comfortable in dealing with the media.

I kind of felt sorry for him on the grounds that the media can be pretty intrusive and maybe his strangeness was him trying to protect his privacy. But then I saw pictures of him being whisked away in a van emblazoned with "Caldel Evans" in huge lettering and decided he is probably just weird.

Mind you I think most people - except me - are weird :biggrin:

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Well, sastre maybe the winner[?] - as at 10.48 on 27.07.08 BUT the man of the match IS Evans ! :biggrin:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Evans has been a one man show but it proves you have to be a good team to win end of. Sastre for me however has done sook apart from that stage in the Alps and if Evans could be at least an Armstrong in that department then it would of been curtains.

MrGrumpy said:
Evans has been a one man show but it proves you have to be a good team to win end of. Sastre for me however has done sook apart from that stage in the Alps and if Evans could be at least an Armstrong in that department then it would of been curtains.

Not forgetting a very good time trial yesterday, admittedly at the end of the three weeks! But if a climber can TT like that to get a win (and not just any old win) then all the best to him.

And there is absolutely no discredit in being the runner-up twice in the world's toughest sporting event!

wafflycat

Whilst the TdF is undoubtedly one of the world's toughest sporting events, I'm not so sure I'd go so far as to say it's the toughest. Consider the Race Across America, non-stop west coast to east coast and strict time limits imposed (And Brits have won the four-man team event before)... 3000 miles effectively non-stop.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm quite pleased how well Sastre has done. His interviews seemed much more thoughtful and pleasant than the Evans ones. Evans had one good interview I saw, the rest he came across incredibly grumpy. With the clips that ITV4 or eurosport put together of the head butts, the slaps, the shoves, the interview with the helmet and getting into the cad van, I'm not surprised he doesn't have a team that works very hard for him!

You're right there marin.
I would just like to add that the winner's podium this afternoon was a sight to behold: Carlos Sastre - arms aloft bearing the trophy and bouquet, Bernhad Kohl - arms aloft and celebrating his position with the trophy aloft - and bouquet.
And lo! Let us not forget Cadel Evans - arms in the air with trophy and bouquet - oh sorry, Australian flag and kangaroo.
Fine cyclist maybe - but one ignorant and disrespectful tosser.:wacko:
Or, alternatively, it was a bit remiss of the Spaniard and Austrian not to have their nation's flag to wave...:biggrin:
See you next year TdF.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Aperitif said:
You're right there marin.
I would just like to add that the winner's podium this afternoon was a sight to behold: Carlos Sastre - arms aloft bearing the trophy and bouquet, Bernhad Kohl - arms aloft and celebrating his position with the trophy aloft - and bouquet.
And lo! Let us not forget Cadel Evans - arms in the air with trophy and bouquet - oh sorry, Australian flag and kangaroo.
Fine cyclist maybe - but one ignorant and disrespectful tosser.:wacko:
Or, alternatively, it was a bit remiss of the Spaniard and Austrian not to have their nation's flag to wave...:biggrin:
See you next year TdF.

Maybe he is missing home :angry:

yenrod said:
Maybe he is missing home :wacko:
He's missing 'Bing' cobber! :biggrin:

I'll be seeing 'roo in all the old familiar places
That this heart of mine embraces all day through
In that small café, the break across the way
The children's carousel, the chestnut trees, the wishing well

I'll be seeing you in every lovely summer's day
In everything that's light and gay
I'll always think of you that way