If my knees get sore, is my saddle too high or too low?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Do you push a low gear?, struggling along instead of spinning ?
That'd cause sore knees, if so, try a higher cadence. It takes a tremendous amount of stress off the knees.

Pedantic reply

Assuming the same speed circa 18 mph

Lower gear = easier to spin, higher cadence.

Higher gear = harder to spin, lower cadence.

gbb

Legendary Member
Pedantic reply

Assuming the same speed circa 18 mph

Lower gear = easier to spin, higher cadence.

Higher gear = harder to spin, lower cadence.

Yes, but....:thumbsup:?..it depends wholly on an individuals fitness.
15 years ago as a relative novice, i could achieve 18mph on the flat no problem, but it was with some considerable effort, usually pushing for all I was worth.
5 years ago, i could easily spin at 18 mph. If i pushed the same way i did 10 years earlier, id be doing 24mph..not 18. Those days are gone for me sadly...:blush:
Fitness dictates It all, not the cadence or a particular gear .

I occasionally got sore knees early on, mashing away for all i was worth, then tried spinning, which seems counter productive at first.
It may well be OPs cadence isnt responsible...equally, it may be, its just one of a few things to consider. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Bike Boomer

Bike Boomer

Regular
Cleat position caused me a bit of knee pain,I had them too straight, so I used the sit on a table and dangle your legs to see where your feet point..slight turn in of the heal or toe out in car terms and hey presto ..
this weather I Always wear leg warmers..cold joints and muscles= pain..
Thanks, I am thinking that the cold does affect my knees.

OP
OP
Bike Boomer

Bike Boomer

Regular
Yes, but....:thumbsup:?..it depends wholly on an individuals fitness.
15 years ago as a relative novice, i could achieve 18mph on the flat no problem, but it was with some considerable effort, usually pushing for all I was worth.
5 years ago, i could easily spin at 18 mph. If i pushed the same way i did 10 years earlier, id be doing 24mph..not 18. Those days are gone for me sadly...:blush:
Fitness dictates It all, not the cadence or a particular gear .

I occasionally got sore knees early on, mashing away for all i was worth, then tried spinning, which seems counter productive at first.
It may well be OPs cadence isnt responsible...equally, it may be, its just one of a few things to consider. :thumbsup:
:wacko:Ok, now my head is spinning!!!:laugh: I had no idea there was so much to consider.

Top Bottom