If you buy a Turbo, can you interchange bikes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plastic_cyclist

I'm looking for a Smart Turbo, but wondered if you could, say, for example, put the kids' Frog bikes on it so they can have a go, and the wife's Hybrid ??

It's going to be primarily for my road bike, but the fam would like to get involved I feel...

si_c

Guru
A wheel on turbo would let you and your wife swap bikes over reasonably easily - provided the wheel size is the same - but that's the key factor is wheel size. You can change wheel sizes within reason (26", 27.5" and 700c) but outside those it's unlikely to work - check the specifics of the trainer.

A full interactive smart trainer which is direct drive is harder to swap over - I have 2 11sp Shimano road bikes and even then I need to swap axle adapters as one is disc and the other rim braked. If the bikes have different drivetrains then you start getting into having to swap cassettes as well which is a not difficult but definitely non-trivial.

I believe the Bkool brand goes down to 20” wheels and I think you can get an extension on some Elite models to raise the roller up for smaller wheels but it isn’t a plug and play solution.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I’ve got a Tacx Neo 2T and it takes me about ten minutes to swap my 9spd road bike for my son’s 8spd Frog MTB (swapping cassettes and installing the axle adapter).

I'm looking for a Smart Turbo, but wondered if you could, say, for example, put the kids' Frog bikes on it so they can have a go, and the wife's Hybrid ??

It's going to be primarily for my road bike, but the fam would like to get involved I feel...
Yes and no. First off you've got the issue of axle types/widths so you may need adapters. Then you'll probably have the issue of different speed bikes. Some folks are happy to use just one gear and let ERG on a Smart trainer control the resistance. Ok if you want to do a workout but less than ideal if you want to do a virtual course though. There are probably other issues which probably make it less practical too.

Top Bottom