If you could cycle exclusively on cycle tracks, would you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panscrank

I am a washed up 54 year old riding my hybrid around the Swansea and Gower coast, Doing between 15 and 30 mile trips at the weekend.
Around here, I am pretty much able to stay on cycle tracks for my entire rides.
If that was possible for you, even for longer 'roadie' distance sides, would you ditch the road if the cycle lanes were wide enough and well maintained?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I am a washed up 54 year old riding my hybrid around the Swansea and Gower coast, Doing between 15 and 30 mile trips at the weekend.
Around here, I am pretty much able to stay on cycle tracks for my entire rides.
If that was possible for you, even for longer 'roadie' distance sides, would you ditch the road if the cycle lanes were wide enough and well maintained?

Yes, definitely if they were in good condition, but given the councils can barely look after the roads, I won't hold my breath. :laugh:

I use them where I can - but they don;t go everywhere and I wouldn;t expect them to

There are a lot of good ones here - even if they are along main roads they are generally seperate from the actual traffic on the big roads

my general rides are along canals for a lot of the route - so often away from traffic automatially (boats don't count!!)

If my route doesn't have proper cycle paths then I try to find quiet side roads - but if not then I am OK with proper roads

Only one time I have abandoned a ride due to a lack of cycle path - dual carridegeay in Garson with no cycle path - FAR to scary - turned round and walked back to where it was safer then went home!

a.twiddler

Veteran
When they work, they're great. Many of them are poorly thought out or badly maintained. But for travelling any distance, generally the roads are more practical.

I'd like to say yes but I can't.

Their quality varies so much e.g. a lot of the canal network towpath is designated as a 'National Cycling Network' but they are unsuitable for mass adoption as a national route. (Casual rides are great on them though!)

winjim

Smash the cistern
They're not gonna put them all over the Peak District and nor do I think they should so no. It would be nice if they did it in cities and major routes in rural areas. But even sometimes in urban areas I want to be able to ride faster than I would feel safe doing on a cycle track.

I want to use the roads but I want fewer cars on them. That's it really.

Top Bottom