If you could learn one language ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
beanzontoast said:
French. Had to give it up because of a subject clash at school. Wonder how long it would take to pick up a workable knowledge of everyday French?

Similar but I was afraid of the French Teacher :laugh:. Best thing to do is go over there and muck in with the locals. My school boy "le/la voiture" (gender?) is archaic for "l'auto"
etc etc.....

So yes I'd quite like to get to grips with French again. But sometimes I'm attracted to Gaelic (the Scots variety).

Arch

Married to Night Train
beanzontoast said:
French. Had to give it up because of a subject clash at school. Wonder how long it would take to pick up a workable knowledge of everyday French?

Probably quite quick, if you were immersed in it. I have friends who've emigrated and they've picked it up well - but then they have been making the effort to do so.

Decent French would be a priority for me - I reckon I could get by on tour if I had to, with a dictionary. But other places I'd consider living include Scandinavia (esp Denmark) or Holland, so those would be useful too...

Arch

Married to Night Train
twentysix by twentyfive said:
Similar but I was afraid of the French Teacher ;). Best thing to do is go over there and muck in with the locals. My school boy "le/la voiture" (gender?) is archaic for "l'auto"
etc etc.....

My friend told me not to get too hung up over genders, when talking - better to just have a stab at it, than not try for fear of getting it wrong, and often in speech you just use a quick l' anyway. I'd like to know it better, but I'm gradually getting more confident about just having a go - often they will like you for it, even if you make a bit of a hash of it.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Arch said:
My friend told me not to get too hung up over genders, when talking - better to just have a stab at it, than not try for fear of getting it wrong, and often in speech you just use a quick l' anyway. I'd like to know it better, but I'm gradually getting more confident about just having a go - often they will like you for it, even if you make a bit of a hash of it.

Indeed I have had a bash. One place I stayed I had a long pigeon French chat with my landlord. He was interested in my bike computer (they were new fangled things then). I didn't know the word for miles - so I made it up. He didn't seem too bothered ;). He did start to teach me some simple pronounciation - "Y" is not y but EE as in Puy de Dome.

I also befriended a young boy on one holiday. I had his mother in fits with my pigeon French. "Le Tenneece de Aujourd hui" after a game with racket and ball. Even I don't know what I was trying to say :thumbsup::biggrin::biggrin:

As for genders I think you are generally correct but there is a difference between Le Tour and La Tour!

I would like to improve my German which theoretically should be quite reasonable but I'm not so good at grammar, having never learned it initially. I can hold decent conversations as that's mainly what we do in our class, plus reading literature & current affairs but I'd just like to be better!

I'd also love to re-learn French which I did at school but was not so good at. My friend lives in Spain & I'd love to be able to speak the language when I visit her.

However, I'll probably just keep on learning German & keep on thinking about the rest!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I did Italian night class for a couple of years but I plateau-ed and now try to do some at home from time to time. I'd really like to get better at it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
twentysix by twentyfive said:
As for genders I think you are generally correct but there is a difference between Le Tour and La Tour!

Oh, I know. But one imagines context would make it clear which was intended....

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Arch said:
Oh, I know. But one imagines context would make it clear which was intended....

Same in German! Can be very confusing! (for me anyway!)

E.g.

die See = The sea
der See = The lake

die Leiter = The ladder
der Leiter = The leader (male)
die Leiterin = The leader (female)

(Please excuse me while I bang my head against the wall!).

Top Bottom