If you could learn one language ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
icelandic (so i can sing along to the sykurmolarnir properly ;)), or italian so as to enjoy the giro d'italia coverage on the net which is far superior to british eurosport…

Cubist

Still wavin'
Andy in Sig said:
German's easy once you have gripped the grammar.
+1. It's so regular that once you have learnt a framework around the grammar, all you need to do is broaden your vocab.

I speak good german (used to be near-fluent) and have learnt Italian, though really struggled with it. My school French comes flooding back every year......
I did Russian for a term at school and got absolutely nowhere with it!
If I were to choose a language to learn now it would be Urdu.

Andy in Sig said:
German's easy once you have gripped the grammar.

Yes, some parts of the grammar are easy but when you get to what we sometimes have had to do like - 'Umformung', a phrase is underlined and you have to re-form it given another word. I'm absolutely **ap at it! I think it's one of the requirements of the Oberstufe Pruefung to be able to do that. I was ok at writing reviews of 3 books we had to do but as the thought of Umformung makes me quake in my boots, I changed classes to one of same level but more FUN! At my age that level of exam will hardly enhance my career opportunities as I retired last year!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I did French and Spanish up to A level, and also learnt German.

I once had the dubious honour of translating from German into French and back again. A German gentleman wanted to converse with a Spanish lady, he could not speak Spanish, her only other language was French. It was a conversation about learning languages. :evil:

Before I started I thought, this will be impossible, but surprisingly it wasn't.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
montage said:
Arabic - the job opportunities are endless..... also MI5/6 are desperate for arabic speakers...along with a few others

Uncle Mort said:
Persian would probably be more useful nowadays. :smile:

discretion would be even better....

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Piraha.....then I might be able to expand my sense of the world through humming, singing and whistling, something representational language has taken from us.

NickM

Veteran
Maori, as long as MsM learns it too.

There's a good chance that anybody I don't want to converse with can't understand it.

Speaking of which... MsM's 6-year-old grandson announced the other day that he and his friend Thomas were inventing their own language :smile:

Top Bottom