If you could learn one language ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
... what would it be?

I would be torn between Friesian (English's closest relative and it sounds honest), Norwegian (poss the most sensible language on earth), Danish (it lilts) or Dutch (sounds good natured and has a lot of humour). Maybe also Italian as it sounds good for use while cooking.

What would yours be?

darkstar

Manderin, Ive begun the learning process. But it's a long one. The time I spent in China helped alot. Very useful for business.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I'm doing Sign Language at the moment (class today, in fact) which is something which fascinates me rather than it being overly useful (well, I don't have much contact with deaf/hearing impaired people at present). I'd have to say Spanish would be my language of choice as we have been a few times to Spain/Dominican Republic etc. where being able to communicate more effectively would have been a bonus.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Japanese.
I do a lot of work with Japan and would love to speak their tongue. I can get by with the usual hello how are you? type that and can say 'Idiot Octopus Sh*t' in Japanese.. I was going to go to adult learning in the summer but a revised summer holiday got in the way. So will look at doing next year.

Greek and Turkish are 2 other languages I would like to learn.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Rigid Raider said:
Some people who post on here haven't finished learning English yet.
:smile:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Alan Whicker said:
German. I used to live there and thought I'd picked it up quite well until a lady in the bakers told me I sounded like Tarzan.

"You. Bread of pumpkin seed. Give me please."
That's Arnie Schwarzeneger isn't it?

Globalti

Legendary Member
French is indeed a lovely language, it's the language of diplomacy - most English expressions of diplomacy are borrowed from French because that language is so much more subtle in this respect. One of my favourites, much used in France, is "savoir-faire", literally "to know how to do". It means knowing the right way things should be done - a common French complaint is "Quelle manque de savoir-faire!" meaning: "What a muppet!"

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I think Icelandic would be great!

I learned Hebrew and Greek at Uni and found both very interesting (although fearsomely difficult). There was a lot about Hebrew that I liked, and it looks cool, but it doesn't sound that nice.

Top Bottom