If you had 4k... what would you buy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

donaldb7340

I have had an insurance payout and have 3.5k, I could afford 500 extra so a lucky man! I occasionally race crits but have no interest in racing a 4k bike :wacko:

I am doing lands end to John o groats sandlike the idea of a fast road bike that won't kill me over 9 days of 100mile+ rides. The 2020 Di2 synapse is top of the list! any experience with synapse on here? other thoughts would be tarmac comp Di2...

am I missing a trick?!

vickster

Legendary Member
Something in titanium or steel for touring

shnjmsn

Über Member
For LeJog I'd recommend a 2020 Roubaix. Got one last August and apart from the winter hack, I've not ridden anything else since.....!!!! And I've got 2 Synapses, a Tarmac di2 and all sorts of other stuff. For me it really is the bike that does everything. Supremely comfortable for all day rides, pave seat post and future shock, it glides over the worst roads..........and is plenty fast enough if you want to put some power into it........

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
With end to end in mind I'd spend up to half on a fast tourer, something like a Croix de Fer / Tour de Fer, then use the rest for some nice new clothing, equipment, luggage, computer / satnav, lights etc. In fact I did exactly that recently.

Personally I'd eschew Di2 on a long tour like that, it's just something else to go wrong and potentially require a detour to a bike repair shop, but I understand the appeal of "shiny". 😁

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I have had an insurance payout and have 3.5k, I could afford 500 extra so a lucky man! I occasionally race crits but have no interest in racing a 4k bike :wacko:

I am doing lands end to John o groats sandlike the idea of a fast road bike that won't kill me over 9 days of 100mile+ rides. The 2020 Di2 synapse is top of the list! any experience with synapse on here? other thoughts would be tarmac comp Di2...

am I missing a trick?!
I would add a bit more and get something nice.:laugh: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Ce...00042375451900&ds_kids=p42375451900&gclsrc=ds

sheddy

Legendary Member
Recumbent Trike.

rivers

How far can I go?
upgrade my current groupset on my carbon bike to ultegra di2, get some ultegra pedals, and a nice set of deep carbon wheels. maybe upgrade my handlebars and stem to carbon as well

OP
OP
D

donaldb7340

With end to end in mind I'd spend up to half on a fast tourer, something like a Croix de Fer / Tour de Fer, then use the rest for some nice new clothing, equipment, luggage, computer / satnav, lights etc. In fact I did exactly that recently.

Personally I'd eschew Di2 on a long tour like that, it's just something else to go wrong and potentially require a detour to a bike repair shop, but I understand the appeal of "shiny". 😁
Such a good shout - for the 1st time I can get a shiny new thing so I keen... though the split sounds good. Tough to turn down the Di2, though Ultegra tough is so good still.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
A custom built titanium folder of some sort, for city riding. Perhaps this one, if I could induce the guy who built it for his wife to knock one together for me. (Don't click that link if you don't wish to salivate, if you like this sort of thing.)

PCA9ORq.jpg

My precious

If there is any money left over, I'd stick it in the bike fund.

OP
OP
D

donaldb7340

upgrade my current groupset on my carbon bike to ultegra di2, get some ultegra pedals, and a nice set of deep carbon wheels. maybe upgrade my handlebars and stem to carbon as well
I would love to but the old bike is in pieces after the crash :wacko::wacko:🎆

Crankarm

Guru

am I missing a trick?!

I could drop £4k on a bike but wouldn't as depreciation on new bikes is terrible. I certainly wouldn't spend £4k on a derailleur bike. After a season or two's use the transmission would be shot and no one would want the frame as the style colour would be so last century plus it would be used and no one wants a used carbon or alloy road bike frame. You would struggle to even get £800 if you tried to sell it. If I were to get a new bike which I'm not I might look at Ti frames or failing this another Brompton possibly Ti frame as they are so good and hold their value.

But firstly I would pay off any other debts before dropping £4k on a new bike.

OP
OP
D

donaldb7340

For LeJog I'd recommend a 2020 Roubaix. Got one last August and apart from the winter hack, I've not ridden anything else since.....!!!! And I've got 2 Synapses, a Tarmac di2 and all sorts of other stuff. For me it really is the bike that does everything. Supremely comfortable for all day rides, pave seat post and future shock, it glides over the worst roads..........and is plenty fast enough if you want to put some power into it........
I have thought about the Roubaix, what is the difference over synapse? in real terms?

Top Bottom