If you had 4k... what would you buy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If it’s a bike you’re wanting then Ribble have just brought out their Titanium Endurance Disc I’m not sure how value compares to others but their Di2 version is a smidge over £4K with Ultegra and 105 a little more reasonable.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-ti-disc/
That's a cracking bike that

wajc

Veteran
I have had an insurance payout and have 3.5k, I could afford 500 extra so a lucky man! I occasionally race crits but have no interest in racing a 4k bike :wacko:

I am doing lands end to John o groats sandlike the idea of a fast road bike that won't kill me over 9 days of 100mile+ rides. The 2020 Di2 synapse is top of the list! any experience with synapse on here? other thoughts would be tarmac comp Di2...

am I missing a trick?!

Here's a pic of my 2019 Synapse Ultegra Di2 - I picked it up at the end of last year during the sales.

bike pic.jpg

It's a very comfortable bike to ride, I've a carbon Planet X RT57 as well and the Synapse is so much smoother on our rough roads. Having said that I rode a 400km event on the RT57 last year and it was fine - so it's not an uncomfortable bike either.

I got the Synapse to do multiple long day events not dissimilar to the LEJOG you are hoping to do and i'm sure it will be great, but my plans for this year have been abandoned due to the current pandemic - so I haven't had a chance to do rides longer than 200km on it yet.

The Synapse is not quite as light and fast as the RT57 (which has chunky seat/chainstays and I've heard it described as a sprinters bike in one review - I'm sure my weedy legs don't do it justice ^_^) but the Synapse rides how I'd expect a slightly more endurance focussed bike to ride. Cannondale market it as being between race and endurance.

The other noticeable difference is how much more stable and safe the Synapse feels when descending fast compared to the RT57.

It's going to be a difficult choice I think between a Tarmac comp Di2 and the Synapse Di2. However what you need is a really long test ride on both.

Rutland Cycles have a 30 day test ride option and stock both of the bikes you are considering

30 day test ride

Also a 24/48hr demo bike option as well

Demo bike hire

I've mentioned this in another post so I'd like to point out that I don't work for them nor did I take either option up when I bought my Synapse as it was in their end of season sale.

It might just come down to looks or minor spec difference. I notice the Tarmac Comp has 52/36T up front and a 11-30T cassette, the Synapse has 50/34T and a 11-34T cassette which you might like when you're tired at the end of a long day's ride and still have a hill to climb. I know these components can be changed but it's not something I'd want to do immediately on a new bike.

I'm usually not a big fan of compact chainsets but with the semi synchro function on the Di2 auto changing the rear sprocket in response to a shift on the chainset I find it not to be an issue.

As other have said there are plenty of other options out there and it's easy to get overwhelmed with the amount of choice.

clid61

Veteran
An Asda bso and a field day in the spirits isle :smile:

OP
OP
D

donaldb7340

Ride comfort for me, build quality seems to be better. Maybe I'm just lucky with the Roubaix and unlucky with the 'Dales but the thing just rides so well.......... Synapse are still great bikes, lots of good miles in the past few years on both mine (105 rim brake and Ultegra disc), but the Roubaix just sings when you ride it. I would definitely recommend, but the only real way is to ride both, you may find you prefer the Synapse :-)
I can't wait to get out and try some - I wonder if being unable to adds to the longing. Fighting the urge to get one now and hold off till I can ride one!

OP
OP
D

donaldb7340

Here's a pic of my 2019 Synapse Ultegra Di2 - I picked it up at the end of last year during the sales.

View attachment 512541

It's a very comfortable bike to ride, I've a carbon Planet X RT57 as well and the Synapse is so much smoother on our rough roads. Having said that I rode a 400km event on the RT57 last year and it was fine - so it's not an uncomfortable bike either.

I got the Synapse to do multiple long day events not dissimilar to the LEJOG you are hoping to do and i'm sure it will be great, but my plans for this year have been abandoned due to the current pandemic - so I haven't had a chance to do rides longer than 200km on it yet.

The Synapse is not quite as light and fast as the RT57 (which has chunky seat/chainstays and I've heard it described as a sprinters bike in one review - I'm sure my weedy legs don't do it justice ^_^) but the Synapse rides how I'd expect a slightly more endurance focussed bike to ride. Cannondale market it as being between race and endurance.

The other noticeable difference is how much more stable and safe the Synapse feels when descending fast compared to the RT57.

It's going to be a difficult choice I think between a Tarmac comp Di2 and the Synapse Di2. However what you need is a really long test ride on both.

Rutland Cycles have a 30 day test ride option and stock both of the bikes you are considering

30 day test ride

Also a 24/48hr demo bike option as well

Demo bike hire

I've mentioned this in another post so I'd like to point out that I don't work for them nor did I take either option up when I bought my Synapse as it was in their end of season sale.

It might just come down to looks or minor spec difference. I notice the Tarmac Comp has 52/36T up front and a 11-30T cassette, the Synapse has 50/34T and a 11-34T cassette which you might like when you're tired at the end of a long day's ride and still have a hill to climb. I know these components can be changed but it's not something I'd want to do immediately on a new bike.

I'm usually not a big fan of compact chainsets but with the semi synchro function on the Di2 auto changing the rear sprocket in response to a shift on the chainset I find it not to be an issue.

As other have said there are plenty of other options out there and it's easy to get overwhelmed with the amount of choice.
Great advice thank you for this, I think the best bet is to get out and ride a few. I think you are spot on when you say the main issues is the amount and type available. its 100% a good problem to have, I wasn't expecting to crash and so the insurance money will go well.
I think waiting and seeing what comes up in the sales is a good idea! that may help make the decision for me. I have to buy from one site (so the range is a bit more limited than having the money to shop anywhere).
One bike for speed, one for endurance, I think you have a good balance!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I concur with those who've already stated they could never justify four grand on something that depreciates as hard as bikes do.

Personally I'd be looking at something mid-range with a 105 groupset (best value, cranks seem less willing to fall to bits) for maybe £1.5-2k, spending a bit more on necessary peripherals and banking the rest (well, figure of speech - might as well stick it under the bed).

If spending significant money I'd want steel or Ti in the interests of longevity / peace of mind (FWIW, before anyone jumps on me). Rightly or wrongly ally and CFRP stuff seems to get old / depreciate quicker than steel or Ti, but this might be more the result of owners' mindsets than material properties.

Perhaps a higher-end Genesis Croix de Fer, Equilibrium disk or Fugio, although I'm less keen on the latter's Sram groupset. I think I'd also be looking at other steel / Ti bikes from the likes of Fairlight and all the other higher-end manufacturers I'm not sufficiently well-heeled to have become acquianted with :tongue:

Top Bottom