If you had 4k... what would you buy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'd get Richard Hallett to build me another bike, a light club machine, perhaps in stainless.

Actually that is what I'm doing.

shnjmsn

Über Member
I have thought about the Roubaix, what is the difference over synapse? in real terms?

Ride comfort for me, build quality seems to be better. Maybe I'm just lucky with the Roubaix and unlucky with the 'Dales but the thing just rides so well.......... Synapse are still great bikes, lots of good miles in the past few years on both mine (105 rim brake and Ultegra disc), but the Roubaix just sings when you ride it. I would definitely recommend, but the only real way is to ride both, you may find you prefer the Synapse :-)

vickster

Legendary Member
With end to end in mind I'd spend up to half on a fast tourer, something like a Croix de Fer / Tour de Fer, then use the rest for some nice new clothing, equipment, luggage, computer / satnav, lights etc. In fact I did exactly that recently.

Personally I'd eschew Di2 on a long tour like that, it's just something else to go wrong and potentially require a detour to a bike repair shop, but I understand the appeal of "shiny". 😁
How long does the Di2 battery last and how easy is it to charge when on the road?
Is SRAM eTap easier to charge (but more costly)?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Considering that I have never spent anywhere near 1k on a bike I certainly wouldn't spend 4k .

@SkipdiverJohn would be the same

The only time I would even consider spending £4k on anything with wheels on it, would be if it was powered by an internal combustion engine and not me. If I ever get any thoughts of buying £4k push bikes I will be surrendering myself immediately to the mental health authorities in order to get my head examined.

The most expensive machine I ride would cost the equivalent of about £1,000 in today's money, and it's plenty good enough for me. I've got better things to do with my cash than waste it on a heavily depreciating item like a high end mass-produced bicycle, which will be old hat in a year's time once the manufacturer changes the colour and brings out the next season's model. You might as well withdraw the money from the bank in cash and just set fire to it.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

Buy what makes you feel good. Life’s too short to worry too much about the future! That said, when I decided to spend a wedge on a bike a few years back, I went for a titanium frame because I didn’t want to look at a sad and scuffed carbon frame after a year or three. No regrets.

If I was doing the same today with £4K, I’d look at Enigma, Van Nichols or Reilly bikes.
Ian

Rocky

Hello decadence
120 bottles of Isle of Harris gin

AE82CCFA-FAAB-45D9-B145-8C3FBBA4BCFC.jpeg

That should see me through the lockdown

Top Bottom