If you had 4k... what would you buy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
Then, if they do go ahead and make the purchase they can justify it in their own heads by saying "well loads of other cyclists on this forum reckon it was a really good choice", even though the very act of wheeling the new bike through the front door of the shop out on to the pavement so it becomes a used bike, has just cost then two grand......

It sounds like to me you need to stop judging other people by your own standards. We all have different budgets and at the end of the day we are all bike fans which is what counts.

I've only just back into cycling after a few years off, I've just got a £2k eBike from Halfords, which am sure you will disapprove off. And now am eyeing up this, though only for when it goes on sale next year.......

49684101077_c475dd7c3c_c_d.jpg

But even with 30-40% off the list price am sure you will find many reasons to disapprove of a bike like that. Yes £4k (or more) is a staggering sum to spend on a pedal bike, but if someone can afford it, why not?

What is money for if you are not going to spend it???

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Saving it, just in case of a pandemic 😷
Plenty of people still working or have ample savings.
I could happily afford a 4k bike but I couldn’t justify. It took me about a year to decide how to spend ‘just’ 2.5k :ph34r: (of injury payout)

I'm actually saving more, as I'm shopping less, not going out, no paying for transport etc!
Not to mention the cancellation / postponement of an expensive holiday

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
Saving it, just in case of a pandemic 😷

Or having the pandemic cut your life short, having the biggest bank account when you are 6ft under means very little.

I must have seen/treated dozens of confirmed COVID+ patients in the last 2 weeks, a grim way to remind me of all out mortality. Yes I fully understand the need to save and not be reckless with money, but if you have the means, there are much more pointless way(to me anyways) on making £4k disappear.

Compared to a first class ticket on a return long haul flight to say LA (20hr in total??), a £4k bike that could well last you a lifetime I would say is actually quite good value:smile:.

Gunk

Guru
Plenty of people still working or have ample savings.
I could happily afford a 4k bike but I couldn’t justify. It took me about a year to decide how to spend ‘just’ 2.5k :ph34r: (of injury payout)

I'm actually saving more, as I'm shopping less, not going out, no paying for transport etc!
Not to mention the cancellation / postponement of an expensive holiday

Unfortunately not everyone is in the same boat, I know people who are really struggling.

vickster

Legendary Member
Unfortunately not everyone is in the same boat, I know people who are really struggling.
For sure, but not everyone is (at least not yet). I do recognise that I’m very lucky to have not been affected (yet). And I only have to worry about myself which helps

mooseracer

Guru
A Definition Ultegra DI2 from Mason Cycles. You'd get a fiver in change for a bell.

That is what I did and it is brilliant (came from a 2019 Synapse DI2)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I could happily afford a 4k bike but I couldn’t justify. ...…..

I wouldn't bat an eyelid at spending £4k on something, if I thought is was sufficiently good value for money. Affordability isn't the issue. However, as everybody knows, high end bikes have a depreciation rate that rivals luxury cars. Essentially, you can kiss goodbye to half your money as soon as you take delivery of the thing. Now, if you intend to buy such a luxury item and keep it "forever", depreciation may not be an overriding concern.
Custom Steel and Titanium aside, bikes don't tend to be bought on a "forever" basis though, do they? Most of the type of cyclists who blow loads of cash on brand new high end bikes, are hopelessly addicted suckers for bike industry marketing, and will be back at their LBS window, drooling over the next latest model within a year or two of the last big purchase.

Absolutely true. I know several people who are soon going to be seriously in the shoot financially if this virus disruption lasts longer than a few more weeks. In some cases, it's simply a matter of never having earned enough to build a decent financial warchest, and having weekly hours slashed to their contractual minimum.
In other cases, it comes from having a blasé attitude to money. Easy come easy go, spending it as fast as it comes in, not saving, carrying a lot of debt, lulled into a false sense of security by low interest rates - never believing that the comfortable lifestyle they enjoy could ever be brought to an abrupt end.
When this virus thing is over, there will be a lot of people who thought they were untouchable looking around at the remains of their businesses, property assets, savings, fancy cars, fancy bikes, holiday villas and any other number of luxuries & creature comforts they took for granted. They will be shaking their heads wondering how it all went so wrong for them.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Not only would I, I have bought this on a similar budget.

Currently at paint shop, should be in my grubby hands in May, a mere year later than originally intended.

Very excited, expect the wonderful spring weather to break on arrival.

jamin100

Guru
One of these
https://www.jlaverack.co.uk/r-jack-disc-range/

I really think this will be my next bike. I've seen them at the bike show and when i'm serious, i'm going to go and have a test ride.

Trouble is, I have a really light, carbon supersix evo with campag zonda wheels, carbon sworks handle bars and SRAM red eTap that aside from a few pain chips, there is nothing wrong with. Its an awesome bike.... so at the moment, i'm sticking with it..

I toyed around with having it resprayed too, but decided against it in the end..

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One of these
https://www.jlaverack.co.uk/r-jack-disc-range/

I really think this will be my next bike. I've seen them at the bike show and when i'm serious, i'm going to go and have a test ride.

Trouble is, I have a really light, carbon supersix evo with campag zonda wheels, carbon sworks handle bars and SRAM red eTap that aside from a few pain chips, there is nothing wrong with. Its an awesome bike.... so at the moment, i'm sticking with it..

I toyed around with having it resprayed too, but decided against it in the end..
That Laverack is a beaut

Top Bottom