If you wear a helmet does the type matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
Ive been looking at the Giro Aeon, but cant find any specs at all for it.

As explained

This was included as they were not accepted, then accepted,and more recently removed again

The USA Cycling rule book remains off line so I still can't link directly, but the Bicycle Helmet Sfatey Institute states:
The European CEN standard is less severe than the US CPSC bicycle helmet standard. Helmets built only to the CEN standard are less protective. One example of the difference is that CEN helmets are tested in 1.5 meter drops on the flat anvil, while a CPSC helmet has to perform at 2.0 meters. CEN helmets can be lighter and thinner, and usually are.
USA Cycling formerly accepted CEN helmets for races that it sanctions in the US, but has reverted to a CPSC requirement starting January 1, 2010, as noted in the current USA Cycling Rule Book.

Bought on looks and colour scheme, and venting, as both are nice and cool. They also match my bikes. :biggrin: The testing standards didn't come into the decision

^^ this. I have two lids - a Spiuk and a MET - they both stay on my head ok and the colours match my club kit. I have no idea what safety standards they conform to and I couldn't care less anyway.

That's great and all. But I'm in the UK so US Cycling rules/standards mean literally zero?

..... it means that when assessed the UK / European standard is considered to be inadequate protection

Does it not mean the uk test is inadequate rather than the helmets?

It means that a helmet which passes EN1078, but does not also pass CPSC, Snell or any to the other tests is inadequate.

Look at the helmet and investigate which tests it passes

U

User6179

It means that a helmet which passes EN1078, but does not also pass CPSC, Snell or any to the other tests is inadequate.

Look at the helmet and investigate which tests it passes

Which tests it passes dosnt mean it fails the other test, does it?
What im trying to find out is if the uk helmets that you say are inadequate have they actually failed a test for snell or have they just not been tested?

Ask yourself why you want to wear a helmet?

Is it to protect your head?

So surely you want to buy the helmet that offers greater protection?
The only way you can do that is buy a helmet that passes the higher standards

If a helmet is not Snell certified, it has not been proven to offer that level of protection

Anything else is guess work - if a helmet is not tested or fails the test is irrelevant, you cannot prove protection to that level it has not proven the standard of protection it offers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom