If you wear a helmet does the type matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Ask yourself why you want to wear a helmet?

Is it to protect your head?

So surely you want to buy the helmet that offers greater protection?
The only way you can do that is buy a helmet that passes the higher standards

If a helmet is not Snell certified, it has not been proven to offer that level of protection

Anything else is guess work - if a helmet is not tested or fails the test is irrelevant, you cannot prove protection to that level it has not proven the standard of protection it offers

I'd just answer the questions before you start spreading propaganda !

lukesdad

ROFL! You think that manufacturers will spend money of making their helmet any more adequate than the very bare minimum they need to?
Don't bother getting up !

U

User6179

ROFL! You think that manufacturers will spend money of making their helmet any more adequate than the very bare minimum they need to?

I meant that the americans think our test is inadequate , whether it is or is not is just a matter of opinion!

Yes I do think manufacturers would spend more money making helmets more adequate( if they are infact inadequate) as Im sure a lot of products far exceed safety standards they need to.

U

User6179

Ask yourself why you want to wear a helmet?

Is it to protect your head?

So surely you want to buy the helmet that offers greater protection?
The only way you can do that is buy a helmet that passes the higher standards

If a helmet is not Snell certified, it has not been proven to offer that level of protection

Anything else is guess work - if a helmet is not tested or fails the test is irrelevant, you cannot prove protection to that level it has not proven the standard of protection it offers

No I dont want the helmet that offers the greatest protection, I want a helmet that is light and breathable first then protection comes into play because if its not light and breathable im not going to wear it fullstop!

My helmet has not passed snell but for me is perfectly adequate!

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I meant that the americans think our test is inadequate , whether it is or is not is just a matter of opinion!

Yes I do think manufacturers would spend more money making helmets more adequate( if they are infact inadequate) as Im sure a lot of products far exceed safety standards they need to.
You're naive.

The majority of manufacturers see a standard as a target, to be hit, exactly. Every X ( whatever X is ) above the standard is money wasted.

Why is it helmet sceptics seem to know far , far more about how the magic plastic foam beany hats work/are made/designed/sold/ tested than the naive, religous, believers?

U

User6179

You're naive.

The majority of manufacturers see a standard as a target, to be hit, exactly. Every X ( whatever X is ) above the standard is money wasted.

Why is it helmet sceptics seem to know far , far more about how the magic plastic foam beany hats work/are made/designed/sold/ tested than the naive, religous, believers?

and why do trolls always get personal!

Little yellow Brompton

and why do trolls always get personal!
I apologise, I shoudn't have said that you're naive.

I meant, any , and all, persons who are in this thread, who have stated that they believe that manaufacturers will expend a penny/minute/ ounce of effort more than is required to just slide past a standard ( allowing for the number of helmets that fail) are all naive.

There we go, not personal any more, now how many people match the definition? Hands up all those that think a mulitinational will try to exceed a standard?

U

User6179

I meant, any , and all, persons who are in this thread, who have stated that they believe that manaufacturers will expend a penny/minute/ ounce of effort more than is required to just slide past a standard ( allowing for the number of helmets that fail) are all naive.

There we go, not personal any more, now how many people match the definition? Hands up all those that think a mulitinational will try to exceed a standard?

Apology accepted and Good night sir!

lukesdad

Most I think you 'll find do it by accident as much as anything else.

Little yellow Brompton

Most I think you 'll find do it by accident as much as anything else.
I suggest you try and find the reports of how many helmets fail the BS/E tests , and how many are allowed to fail and yet the design still "meets" the standard. I repeat "Why is it helmet sceptics seem to know far , far more about how the magic plastic foam beany hats work/are made/designed/sold/ tested than the naive, religous, believers?" I have never met a sceptic yet who hasn't done the research, as compared with the true believers who it seems never , ever bother to do any. I would go further I know more than a few, true believers, who have become sceptics after researching , yet i know of no sceptics , or even undecided , who have become believers once they have done any reading.

I won't embarrass you by asking," have you done any research on this subject?"

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I use a £30 Specialized Snell-rated one. I'm not sure why. I would probably be equally protected if I dangled an effigy of St Christopher from the bars. Just habit really.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I use a Specialized Max, it was Snell rated, cheap and fit my fat head alright. :smile: When I replace it, ill probably go for a more pricey one that looks a bit better, id want one with a decent rating too :smile:

lukesdad

I suggest you try and find the reports of how many helmets fail the BS/E tests , and how many are allowed to fail and yet the design still "meets" the standard. I repeat "Why is it helmet sceptics seem to know far , far more about how the magic plastic foam beany hats work/are made/designed/sold/ tested than the naive, religous, believers?" I have never met a sceptic yet who hasn't done the research, as compared with the true believers who it seems never , ever bother to do any. I would go further I know more than a few, true believers, who have become sceptics after researching , yet i know of no sceptics , or even undecided , who have become believers once they have done any reading.

I won't embarrass you by asking," have you done any research on this subject?"

You won't embarrass me you old mucker ! ask away.

Meanwhile from the evidence available to us here (you do like evidence don't you ? ) It would appear you are not a very good advertisment for the sceptic camp or, is it a sceptic tank you are advertising.

I suggest you delve back into some of the other debates we ve had while you,ve been AWOL and try and answer some of the questions ive posed. Now stop being a nobber and try debating sensibly.

Keith Oates

Janner
I bought a Spuik helmet for the simple reason that it was the only make in the LBS that fitted me at the time. It says it complies with CPSC Safety Standard and meets EN 1708 Standard. It is very comfortable to wear and more important, has a removable peak !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No I dont want the helmet that offers the greatest protection, I want a helmet that is light and breathable first then protection comes into play because if its not light and breathable im not going to wear it fullstop!

My helmet has not passed snell but for me is perfectly adequate!

If you wish to compromise your safety by choosing an inferior helmet then that is of course your choice.

It just seems a bizarre decision to choose to wear a helmet and then not put the protection it offers to the top of the shopping agenda

I would be interested though why you dismiss Snell certified helmets as heavy and non-breathable, some of the lightest and best ventilated helmets on the market are Snell certified.

What helmet do you wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom