If you wear earphones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
The next time you encounter disapproval, or incredulity that you can be safe cycling around plugged into your chosen noise dispenser, consider bringing Katrina Jungnickel & Rachel Aldred to the argument. Cycling’s Sensory Strategies: How Cyclists Mediate their Exposure to the Urban Environment is a 2013 study that I grabbed with both hands* shortly after it came out. There are people who won’t click on Torygraph links as a matter of principle, so here’s one from Cycling Weekly which boils it down nicely.

Music has been helping me "negotiate" and "tame" challenging environments for a long time now.

That the BBC did a poll and found "almost 90 per cent questioned being in favour of a blanket ban, many citing a perception of cyclists being unaware and unresponsive to dangers" was not a surprise. That we've made it to 2020 without such a ban, is.

QbPkWxI.gif

* that's not me in that stupid picture

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Never mind earphones, people in cars drive with the windows shut and even listen to the radio

Motorcyclists wear (and are recommended to wear) ear plugs to reduce hearing damage from the (considerable) wind noise at speed

But cyclists are reckless and irresponsible for wearing earphones

I should add that I don't personally care to wear earphones cycling, but not particularly for any safety reason

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
It seems counter intuitive and I appreciate some people may not like the idea of headphones while riding, but I find i am more aware of whats going on around me when I have some ear buds in. The volume has to be at the right level on road though and can't be thumping.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
It seems counter intuitive and I appreciate some people may not like the idea of headphones while riding, but I find i am more aware of whats going on around me when I have some ear buds in. The volume has to be at the right level on road though and can't be thumping.
Yes being more aware, since loosing some of my hearing I have become “more aware” of my surrounding more so while cycling, the body adapts

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I wear bone conductors and so can hear the traffic.

I wear ear plugs on my motorbike and can hear the traffic better than if I didnt wear them.

I see cyclists with those huge muff style headphones. I have no idea how they can hear outside noise

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I see cyclists with those huge muff style headphones. I have no idea how they can hear outside noise
(emphasis added)

They don't need to. Motorists are too shocked by the obscenity to cause any trouble.

Drago

Legendary Member
My car has inch think sound insulation and double glazing. Volvo don't seem to think that auditory exclusion is a major road safety issue, and neither do I.

All I can hear on my motorbikes are Yoshimira pipes and wind noise.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe

Kryton521

Über Member
Never really thought about it. Might be nice to have a bit of music to drown out the howling gale wind noise! :blush:

Drago

Legendary Member
Went out in my Volvo the other day. It has double glazing (yes, honest) and I was listening to System of a Down on 11. The trail of destruction was impressive!

In all seriousness, its been long established that simply driving a car with the windows wound up gives a greater level of auditory exclusion than the typical wearing of headphones, yet this simple piece of info gets constantly overlooked in the ensuing hysteria.

Top Bottom