If you wear earphones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The only time i have ever wore headphones on a bike was when i had a turbo trainer in my conservatory and i only wore them because it was so bloody boring.
Sold the trainer and decided just to ride outdoors throughout the year.

rivers

How far can I go?
I've just bought a set of bone conducting headphones. They're brilliant for riding and being able to hear traffic. I use them daily on my commute

Thisoldbike

I don't have issue with road cyclists using earphones - it is more awkward on more narrow cycle paths where you need to overtake and they cannot hear your approach.

I personally use speaker earphones on cycle paths so I can hear my music and hear approaching cyclists as well. Very useful for taking phone calls as well. My commute is in a more remote area, so there is no one to appreciate my terrible taste in music!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Nice to find some balanced and factual discussion, rather than the usual default of external observers frantically-grasping for a reason to blame the perpetually-maligned cyclist :smile:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I rely on my hearing a lot. I can hear if following cars are going to stop at traffic lights and, on the open road, if they've seen.me and are slowing down. To a reasonable degree I can predict a close pass and tuck into the kerb at the crutical moment.

I was saved by my hearing a couple of years ago when sat at a red light* and heard a car approaching fast from behind, obviously not slowing at all. I dragged myself and the bike right off the road as the car, wheels now locked, slid over where I'd been standing a second before. The driver was vaguely apologetic.

Comparisons with cars and motorbikes are valid if you have mirrors on your bike. Motorised road users don't use their hearing, just their mirrors.

*for readers in London, these are used in the provinces to indicate whether or not you may proceed :laugh:

Didn't like any music while I cycled for years, thought how irresponsible...then I looked into the bone conduction stuff and bought a few sets...fairly happy, sound not great but good enough, and importantly could hear all ambient noise...then tried the Jabra Elite series, they have a 'hearthrough' option that , literally, lets you hear the outside noise. First set (65t I think) it did not seem to work and sent them back. Persuaded by reviews bought the 75t and they are fantastic. Music at a decent quality, earphones fit very very well in ear, very comfortable, can hear any approaching car, and even took a phone call from my dad while out and about, both he and I were impressed with how clear the audio was.
Very pleased with mine and although expensive the have changed my cycling/commute :-)

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
It is very counterintuitive that earphones and cycling could be even the slightest bit safe.

I don’t want to convince anybody to do it, but it would be nice to get people to accept that it is not actually a crazy or irresponsible thing to do. YMMV obvs.

Rightly or wrongly, no data is so convincing as our own experience. Mine started in the latter half of the 90s, shortly after I was born again. A Walkman kept me company as I explored Great Britain from one end to the other, and helped keep The Rage at bay back home in London.

Almost all of my riding is done plugged in. Doubtless if I die on the road my Shuffle will be blamed for it (just please dear god don’t print the playlist).

View: https://youtu.be/FDPqKy3HGB8

I can’t grow a beard either, Shania

PS. The Torygraph story is behind a paywall. This isn’t.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Screw earphones. Most road users don't even bother using their eyes properly, never mind any of their other senses. Look at all the helmet cam footage of riders who simply stare dead ahead, and then have the cheek to complain when the miss very obvious and avoidable trouble a coming and end up kissing tarmac.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Load of bollocks. Out of interest is there a study out there linking any cycling fatalities, serious injuries etc to cyclists or pedestrians to the use of Earphones on the behalf of the cyclist?

Secondly, on my fat bike i can't hear anything other than the tyre noise.

This wreaks of 'get out of my way cyclist, can't you hear me roaring up behind you!?' rhetoric from the motorist lobby...

Last edited:
Historically I didn't ride with headphones as I found the cable would snag, which was annoying and distracting. I more recently started cycling with one of a pair of bluetooth earphones in my left ear, no cable to get snagged, and no appreciable lack of awareness perceived, I may start to ride with two soon. The one strange thing is that sounds coming from behind you, can sometimes seem as though they are coming from out front, but once you are used to this phenomenon, it's not nearly as annoying or risky as it might sound. Your brain quickly learns interpret the direction of the vector of the source correctly. Our brains are incredible things.

Last edited:

Wookee

When I drive a car I have never really relied on my hearing, the mirrors help a lot and I am conscious that in a car I am very visible. My main form of travel is a motorbike and I have custom moulded ear plugs, one set has built in headphones, but I would only ever use them on a long tour in Europe where drivers are a bit more aware of bikers. The normal ear plugs cut wind noise out, but I can have a normal conversation off the bike. Although it too has mirrors, these give a much smaller range of vision.

I tried wearing earphones on a bicycle just the once and they lasted 50m before I nearly got taken out by a car I didn't hear coming!! If I were on a long ride in a more bike friendly country I might try them again, but never here.

Besides, I do like the peacefulness of riding a bike. I don't need help from ACDC to enjoy it!

Jaykun85

I wear headphones when I cycle .. but I have the bone conducting ones from Aftershokz .. so it still allows me to hear everything on around me without being completely bored :smile: so there are products out there that will allow you to listen to music and also hear things around you .

Screw earphones. Most road users don't even bother using their eyes properly, never mind any of their other senses. Look at all the helmet cam footage of riders who simply stare dead ahead, and then have the cheek to complain when the miss very obvious and avoidable trouble a coming and end up kissing tarmac.
I'm entirely one with Drago on this.
IMHO, not even pedestrians should use them.

Top Bottom