If you were me...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

Losidan

I wanted fixie cos I thought it would improve my fitness and leg speed and pedalling form while commuting to work also......

I seem to have lost all leg speed from not riding (not a big surprise) and gained a spare tyre instead!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
If you're buying a bike specifically for commuting, why not buy a bike designed with that purpose in mind?

A mountain bike is pointlessly heavy and over-specced for the job. A fixie will be light and simple, but unless you're used to riding one in traffic, it might not be for you. Riding one up and down hills takes nerve and/or experience and/or fitness.

Why not buy a commuter bike? You can always go hard-core and trade it for a fixie later.

OP
OP
L

Losidan

well..in the end I went the MTB route...The road bikes I was looking at i got outbid on and got a Marin with rock shock judys local to me for £110.

Wolf04

yenrod said:
Fixed wheels - whats the use of one of them!
Err read the first post in the thread Yenners! The OP gave a choice of MB or fixie! I'll leave the bigger question of fixed versus geared to members with more experience of both.

GrahamG

Guru
Where are you based? Also how far is the commute? Hilly? Lots of traffic?

I'd not hesitate to recommend a fixed wheel bike for fitness as it makes the world of difference on my short commute compared to my geared bike (it's just too easy with that), but to be honest I'd rather know what your situation is before I start adding to other's comments.

OP
OP
L

Losidan

Live in Bradford...9 mile commute with a mixture of flat and a long steep hill on the way home..I would get 1.5 miles in length...I'll clock it in the car.

I've plumped for an MTB for now...I think once I get more used to riding I'll go the fixie route

GrahamG

Guru
I missed that post! Can't argue for £110 :smile:

Top Bottom