If you were me...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Losidan

What would you do?

This is my Scenario...I am getting back into cycling and in particular BMX and probably 4x soon. I used to race them and ride on road until about 10 yrs ago.

Now, to help me get fitter and lose more of my spare tyre to help with the bmx I am going to start commuting to work on the bike....

Now, I just cannot decide between getting a fixed wheel road bike or an xc MTB for it. I know it wont be easy at first on a fixie but I dont mind persevering with it.

I will be building up over a few weeks, starting with taking the car half way and riding the rest and so forth until the whole journey is ok.

I guess what I asking is not which is better but which is the best for getting me fitter while still useable for riding to work.

Thanks Ahead

Keith Oates

Janner
I don't think there is a definitive answer to that question Losidan, as it depends on what you enjoy doing most, type of terrain and distance for the commute etc. A lot of the regular commuters on here seem to favour the fixed wheel option, I use an MTB but the distance is only 25 Km each way and I go over some rough sections of road.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
L

Losidan

ok. I will be totally on road. Depending which way I go it can be steep hils or flat with long drags.

domtyler

Über Member
Definitely the fixie, where abouts are you? If you're in London, check out Brick Lane Bikes. That's where I got my Dolan from.

spindrift

I can't justify that, I'm not made of money, besides, I've got a commuter and a Tourer, that's all anyone really needs, I don't need a beautiful sleek black machine like that.

Want one.

Sulks.

domtyler

Über Member
spindrift said:
I can't justify that, I'm not made of money, besides, I've got a commuter and a Tourer, that's all anyone really needs, I don't need a beautiful sleek black machine like that.

Want one.

Sulks.

Just go and have a look at some in the flesh and see what you think. Pay day is just around the corner anyway. And you choose your own componentry anyway, just have yours built up with slightly more economical stuff and have fun upgrading later. ;):evil::angry:

paul_tea

Crazyness I know, but how about a non-fixed road bike? One with gears even that could help you up the potential hills, and proper brakes to help you down the other side. Not trendy, but I can't help thinking a bit more practical (and probably a good deal cheaper than £650 too).

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Why would you assume a fixed doesn't have brakes, just because a few idiots ride them on the roads without brakes.

Mind you, who am I to talk with my skates?

paul_tea

BentMikey said:
Why would you assume a fixed doesn't have brakes, just because a few idiots ride them on the roads without brakes.

Because I work in Soho where every man and his dog has a brakeless fixie. ;) Oh, and 10" wide handlebars. Neither of which seem very practical trends to me.

spindrift

You see rattly old boneshakers with baskets in Soho too, often pedalled by floaty dreamy girls in summer frocks.

Enters reverie.

spindrift said:
You see rattly old boneshakers with baskets in Soho too, often pedalled by floaty dreamy girls in summer frocks.

Enters reverie.

Round here the girls cycling wear lycra shorts and sports bras. Another reason I like cycling.

Top Bottom